Guests using our home airbnb as an office

Answered!
Ross16
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Guests using our home airbnb as an office

Hi hosts, 

Just looking for your kind advice. 

We have some upcoming guests that would like to stay. Initially they said they were looking to come for work / leisure. 

After accepting the guests, they mentioned that they will need a work space (desk)  for use as an office during business hours. 

We normally set our airbnb at a cheaper rate because we mostly have tourists who come back at night to sleep and leave during the day to sight see. 

How do you go about with people using your airbnb as a work office

1 Best Answer
Kamal6
Level 2
Brampton, CA

Why do you object to working from your rental? I agree with the others - embrace it!

1. Raise your prices - business people are willing to pay a bit more for the extras - coffee, bottled water, reliable internet, whiteboards and markers, a nice work space, even a good view.
  2. Set your rules - especially if you don't have a completely seperate area - be clear on what's allowed and what's not allowed, and enforce it. If you don't want to allow clients or other visitors, be clear about it, and if you're going to allow them with prior permission, set up a process for them to notify you.
  3. Update your listing - let your potential guests know that you support working in your rental space and encourage them to spread the word.

Another benefit of business travellers is that they'll frequently be return guests, and if they were good guests, whyever not?

You can cover any extra expenses (better internet, capital improvements like more furniture, more supplies, better internet) through your higher rates. Raising your rates by $10/day can net you easily $300 a month which should more than cover any additional costs.

Of course, on the flipside if you're renting out a room in your house, maybe you don't want this but if you're already willing to share your private spaces then I don't see the problem.

MKS

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Sherri0
Level 3
Bend, OR

Hi Ross

Even though I am outside of Los Angeles, only 15 minutes from Disneyland, and many guests are tourists, 65% of my airbnb guests during the past two years are business people.  I have had excellent experience with them.  They are generally quiet, early to bed and very appreciative of staying in my home rather than a hotel.  They NEVER complain about the price.  I would encourage you to increase your price.  (2) of my rooms have desks, and their are several places they can work in the common space as well. 

Hope this is helpful!

Sherri

Raise your FUTURE RATES

@Ross16    I say "no working" on my listing.  I once had someone invite 15 people over for a racous meeting and other people were in and out all day, even though I also said no visitors.  Was one of my first reservations, have learnt since then.  If you want to allow it, increase your prices.  Another thing to think about is your internet capabilities, people who work at home demand it and can end up complaining and putting in for a hefty refund if it goes out, even when the carrier is having problems.

Kamal6
Level 2
Brampton, CA

Why do you object to working from your rental? I agree with the others - embrace it!

1. Raise your prices - business people are willing to pay a bit more for the extras - coffee, bottled water, reliable internet, whiteboards and markers, a nice work space, even a good view.
  2. Set your rules - especially if you don't have a completely seperate area - be clear on what's allowed and what's not allowed, and enforce it. If you don't want to allow clients or other visitors, be clear about it, and if you're going to allow them with prior permission, set up a process for them to notify you.
  3. Update your listing - let your potential guests know that you support working in your rental space and encourage them to spread the word.

Another benefit of business travellers is that they'll frequently be return guests, and if they were good guests, whyever not?

You can cover any extra expenses (better internet, capital improvements like more furniture, more supplies, better internet) through your higher rates. Raising your rates by $10/day can net you easily $300 a month which should more than cover any additional costs.

Of course, on the flipside if you're renting out a room in your house, maybe you don't want this but if you're already willing to share your private spaces then I don't see the problem.

MKS

@Kamal6   I agree to most of what you have written. But I still think it is something that needs to be carefully considered.  I have the best and fastest internet available in my area and it's expensive, two carriers in fact, still both go out sometimes as they do at hotels and internet café's.  People have suggested cell phone access as an alternative when this happens, but here it is prohibitively expensive.  I have seen posts where guests want a full refund for internet outage, despite deciding to stay after it went out.  Best to find out what the rules are before committing and ask the guest about their expectations.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ross16  Listen to these hosts!  My daughter who convinced me to become an Air BNB host, uses Air BNB for business travel and is happy about Air BNB customer service and promotes Air BNB.  This is an opportunity to expand!

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Ross16  Thats great that you asked the community to help you with this issue.  I have viewed your entire listing, photos and written description.  I have a couple of questions for you....

1.  You have photos in your listing that would lead any potential traveler to think they can use all of those spaces. That being said, I noticed that one of the photos is a table outside on the balcony.  Could the guests use that as a desk?

2.  Do you have the ability to accommodate them by picking up a small desk from a neighborhood (used) store to fit into your bedroom so they can work and have privacy....if not, then be direct. Advise the guests they can either use the indoor dining room table as a work area to be used ONLY DURING DAY TIME HOURS while you are at work, or offer the table on the balcony.

3.  Definitely RAISE your rates because rate wouldn't even cover the cost of hosting, water usage, electricity of anyone being in your home all day. 

4.  I have a desk in my Airbnb Private Room, which allows for people to set their laptop or tablet to log into our separate WIFI router to work but I am very clear in my listing that our home is used for me to work from home, as well as homeschool our daughter, and while we appreciate they may need to check emails, and make a few phone calls, the primary reason to book our home to go sightseeing.  My guests also have the option to use the outdoor garden furniture as a place to work (I bought the best WIFI router to reach that area),  but they must keep in mind that I am here to concentrate on my business, my work and home school my daughter.  Which is very clear in my profile.

And I ask every guests to read MY PROFILE so they completely understand what my home is about.

5.  I want to encourage you to read my profile and spend some time updating your profile as well to reflect exactly what you are looking for and the type of guests you are looking for.  One thing about my listing and profile, is I am VERY CLEAR about everything.

6.  IF you don't want this guests camped all day in your SHARED living space, then offer to find them another place to stay by contacting Airbnb to move the reservations that will be best for your guest.  Airbnb does this all the time especially since the guests was not forthcoming in their original message prior to booking.  I have done this once before and everyone was happier.  Not every guest is gonna be a match. 

7.  Do whats best for you.  Do you realize you can ask the guests to consider paying a bit more to accommodate their extra use of the house with regards to electricity since they failed to inform you of their actual plans for their stay?  They can always decline, but by all means, contact AIRBNB to help you on this.  If you need the Australian Help Line phone number, go to the search bar at the top of the screen here and type it in - you will find all the phone numbers for every country around the world....OR YOU CAN USE FACEBOOK  or TWITTER to contact Airbnb to guide you. They are so good about responding within 15 mins or less. 

8.  Remember, this is your house.  Do what's best for you and your home.  Take control of the situation.  Ask the guests how many hours do they expect to be using the house for work office space on a daily basis?  There is nothing wrong with asking the right questions. If the guests takes an attitude, then contact ABB to cancel and tell them you are no longer comfortable with this guests based on your ongoing chats and concerns. But be up front and talk to the guests.

Let us all know what you decided and how things went with this booking.  Everyone always need to hear good news or resolutions but most of the time, we only read about bad news or concerns.   And definitely raise YOUR RATES!  Why.....because you have great reviews....right ?   @Linda108 @Kamal6 @Ange2 @Vernon-and-Mary-Lee0

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

We would love to have more business guests. In our experience they tend to keep to themselves, are low maintenance and appreciate the fact that they are in a home, not a hotel. We offer fast WiFi and a desk as well as a quiet setting.