HELP - Guest complained about food odors

Monaco1
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

HELP - Guest complained about food odors

Hello,

I had a guest stay in my Airbnb about a week ago. My Airbnb is owner occupied (I live here) two bedroom apartment.

They said everything was great but they hated the smell of me cooking food. For the record, I do not eat curries or fry fish but I do enjoy eating medium steaks and/or pasta with seafood. The house has an open concept kitchen so its hard for me to keep food smells to a minimum.

Is there anything I can do to minimize the smell or should I just chalk it up to "you can't please everyone" and move on?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Monaco1 ,

One incident is not enough; maybe there was another reason they didn't tell you. You're not sure what really happened, so there's no reason to rush to conclusions. Wait for the next time a guest complains about a smell or odor, and then look for out-of-the-box solutions.

Nowadays, with so many diets and food-related ideologies, sharing a kitchen is not an easy task. If I were on a diet and had to share a kitchen with someone who likes to bake cookies or fry their food, I'd have a problem with odors, for sure!

@Monaco1 

I can so relate! We are a home share situation too; a 2 ensuite bedroom house with a Great Room where we live, work, cook, eat, listen to music, watch movies - all the pleasures and activities of daily life. When our own cooking odors get too much for us, we open doors and get a draft through the house, weather permitting;  in addition to the exhaust fan in the kitchen. We cook simply when guests are here, knowing that they may also want to use the house kitchen even when they don't let us know ahead of time. We keep any potentially disturbing activities to a minimum, in deference to our guests. They have a basic kitchenette in their space, just not a stove. 

If a guest complained to us about any of this - especially if this is a first complaint ever - we'd have to chalk it up, and understand that perhaps this guest might not be ideally suited to a home share situation. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Monaco1, I just came across your post and wanted to check if you had the opportunity to read our Hosts' suggestions. Is this the first time you've received these comments from a guest?

>>Here<< are some conversations where our Hosts are discussing similar situations.

I hope this helps.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad