Help with phantom fleas

Niki85
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Help with phantom fleas

Hi guys, 

How do I handle a long-term guest that complains constantly he is being bitten by fleas... but no-one else in the house (there are four other guests) has complained, and the guest who had the room before him did not mention fleas?  I have treated the carpets three times, with increasing strength flea stuff (the last lot was so strong I had to wear gloves), I have vacuumed every day, I have spent time on the my hands and knees examining the surfaces where he says the fleas are jumping on him.  I have not been able to find a single flea.  No-one else in the house has found a single flea.  He is being bitten - he has showed me the bites - but I suspect that he is bringing the fleas in with him when he comes back from the course he is attending, or that the fleas are in his clothing? 

I have never had this problem before, my house is kept very clean. 

What do I tell him if he complains again, when for the last week I have not been able to find a single flea anywhere in the house (and believe me, I have looked!)

4 Replies 4
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Niki85 two choices:

ask the guest to cancel and refund the remainder of unused nights 

or 

have a professional come in and treat. If the guest still complains, see the first option.

Fleas can rarely be treated effectively by over the counter sprays or chemicals. In my experience, if they have infested a home you need a pro to come out and kill them. You don't say if any of your other guests have pets or have had friends over with pets. If fleas got into the house they may prey on one person more than others, or the others may be desensitized to it as they are bitten often. Or your guest may be delusional. But he has shown you the bites so I doubt that.

Long term solution? Get rid of carpets. They are not optimal when hosting strangers as they trap allergens and critters. Some people see houses with carpeting as unclean no matter how often you shampoo and deep clean. I would strongly consider pulling it out in your guest areas and replacing with something that has a hard surface. You can use area rugs for decor or warmth. Good luck. 

ETA-- you show cats in your listing. Do they go outside? Are they treated for fleas? I think your mystery has been solved....

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

cat's flies bite humans as well.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Niki85  Humans don't 'bring fleas home with them" or have them in their clothing. Fleas live on aniimals not humans. They only bite humans. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Niki85  What is possible is that this guest brought bedbugs with him, and that is what is biting him, not fleas. You need a professional pest control service to figure out the probem.