Horrible And Dangerous New Profile Pic Policy

Daniel2195
Level 7
Orting, WA

Horrible And Dangerous New Profile Pic Policy

AirBnB’s new “no pic needed” policy is HORRIBLE and dangerous to hosts and guests. It leave hosts with no way of knowing that the person checking in is the person who actually booked the reservation, without rudely asking to see a picture ID. I was told the policy change was to “combat racism” by an AirBnB rep. I can’t think of anything more dangerous to both hosts and guests than AirBnB sending people of color to stay at some racist host’s house (who would have previously just looked at their profile pic and declined their reservation). Instead AirBnb is endangering people of color by sending them to confront such racists IN PERSON and in ignorance.

Also, as a member of the LGBTQ+ community it’s not safe for me and my husband to book places to stay for ourselves without making it clear we’re a gay couple. It could get us beaten and killed, especially overseas. AirBnB’s new “no pic policy” endangers LGBTQ+ people who don’t bother posting a pic of themselves for bigoted hosts to see them as a couple (and decline the booking). Instead, we can now show up as a gay couple unexpectedly to a bigot’s house and be confronted with their hate.

It’s clear that whoever formulated this new “no pic required” policy has zero understanding of the safety and liability issues involved for both guests and hosts. Please require pics so everyone can get back the small measure of protection they provide for all involved!

63 Replies 63
Emma233
Level 1
Victoria, Canada

I too go on my gut feelings when booking guests.  I have no problem with LGBTQ or people of colour but a picture literally says a thousand words.  Airbnb need to change this policy immedately.  It is the white racists I don't want... so if the profile leaves you with mis-givings the pic sometimes helps make the decision to book or not.  I am a single older woman who lives alone and I have the right to see what a potential guest looks like for my own safety concerns.

Alison256
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

The facial white supremecist tattoos are a problem for me.

Ansel0
Level 3
Oakland, CA

The policy has had no negative impact on my business. 

Andrew2799
Level 1
Chicago, IL

people want to be able to judge their guests, plan and simple as stated in a few different ways, ALWAYS POINTING TO SAFETY.   Which is typical. Don't host strangers if you don't want to be treated like a hotel.