Host asking for ID driver's license for my entire party

Answered!
Jennifer2827
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Host asking for ID driver's license for my entire party

My host is asking for the driver's license of everyone in my party (4 people). It is unusual and makes me concerned, as I have never had this request before. Is this legit?

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

When it comes to guests verifying their identity, this Help Center article details when and if it is appropriate: What a Host may ask you for

It is dependant on local laws or may be a requirement in a Hosts house rules to see a form of ID at the point of check-in.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

67 Replies 67

You would not be welcome at my condo in tahoe. The county requires that the host collect a photo ID and save it for 2 years. VHR permits are limited and are given out on a lottery.  I would never risk losing mine because someone didnt want to follow the rules. I dont make the rules, but I have to abide by them. You would have a hard time finding a condo in Stateline. You might want to stick with hotels if you are not willing to share your photo ID. Hosts have a lot to lose and its not worth risking fines from the county, or having a person book as a shill for someone else and have a party or something. 

Save it for 2 years, where?  It's not that I'm not comfortable proving my identity, it's that I'm not comfortable with someone I don't know storing my personal identity documents on what is potentially an insecure laptop, phone, cloud account and/or other places that have no PII compliance requirements and no knowledge of cyber security.  You have to understand that while your house may be valuable, my identity in perpetuity is probably more valuable.

If there are rules for us, then there needs to be rules for you as far as protecting _my_ property.

My thoughts, exactly.

Good Lord man, "this" is your origin story for identity theft?

Private property owners have every right to demand identification for all who enter.   

No, AirBnB hosts are not 'contractors' of AirBnB.   AirBnB is an aggregator of independent contractors.

And hey, tech guy, "PCI compliance" has nothing to do with driver licenses.  

I hope your bank bought your raft of nonsense, because it is nonsense.  

Shenickqua0
Level 1
Dallas, TX

Hi,

I have the same issue. Host wants me to email my IDs . Was your issue resolved?

@Shenickqua0 It will depend on what country you are renting in. Many European countries require details of ALL guests staying with them.

There were other "red flags" from this host so we booked another house. 

Marilynn11
Level 2
Dana Point, CA

I’m going to jump in here. I’ve been hosting since 2005, before Airbnb. Im also an Airbnb Superhost Ambassador. 

I have hosts assigned to me who’s accounts get verified under one name then later change to another name without being re-verified. 

I’ve changed the name on my profile on my own accounts between my business name and my personal name. I’ve never had to re-verify. 

guests can do the same so there is never a guarantee that the person booking is the same person on the Airbnb profile. Fraud goes both ways. 

as a host I require a photo ID of the guest responsible for the booking. I disclose this in my listing and state the reason that I’m verifying that the ID matches the profile and they meet my minimum age requirement. I reiterate it immediately after they book so they have 48 hours to cancel if I’ve even used instant book which I usually don’t.  I offer them to redact the ID number. I just need their name and address to add to the contract as their primary residence. I also ask them to message the photo of the ID in the Airbnb app. 

there are now guest verification services that are encrypted that I’ll be using moving forward. 

Guests need to understand that we are handing over access to our investments and we have far more to lose than they do. The trust has to go both ways. 

guests and hosts need to vet each other yet I’ve found that users of this platform put far too much trust in it. Do your own due diligence. 

if a host has been on the platform for years and has a ton of great reviews I promise they aren’t sharing or selling personal information. Beware of brand new users on either side. Hope this helps. 

A host I am working with wants my ID + the 5 adults staying (family) for "Liability Insurance purposes." Is this reasonable? Is this not covered through AirBNB?

It is reasonable. My county mandates that we keep a copy of the photo Id for 2 years. Local laws supersede Airbnb policies. 

Not helpful 

ROB OPPS MATT

@Eric6464 Eric Airbnb is not some type of 'hotel chain ' it is only a booking agent for the host/owner. Some hosts set themselves up as their personal 'chains ' running multiple hands of units or condos , but ordinary homeowners are not, and receive none of your id , such as credit cards from Airbnb...although they do receive your photo and phone number . All they wish to do usually is check that the person booking and the person turning up are one and the same ,as third party bookings are not allowed on the platform....H

Matthew1775
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

In our county is it’s mandatory to collect a photo id. There are hefty fines for not complying and as a host I could lose my license to rent. 

Willing to shgow my ID in person, that's not the issue.

What platform do you use to get their photo ID?

Host  is asking me to send the phot to a g... mail address

that part is not ok with me. 

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

I have been Dealing with Airbnb as a Host that didn't ask for IDs.  Airbnb Support's formal written answer to me.  Always ask for IDs.  Airbnb can not guarantee that the ID they validated is the person at your property.  It is the Host's responsibility to validate who is occupying the Host's Property  Also as the Host we are protected by insurance and yes the rental agreement is a legal agreement is the Host's responsibility to validate Aircover knows who is insured and that the person you made a legal rental agreement is aware and responsible