Host in Spain asking for passport number

Answered!
Mavis33
Level 1
Roanoke, VA

Host in Spain asking for passport number

My host in Madrid is asking for passport numbers to report to the police as we are international travellers. Is this normal? And is the website ** safe?

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer

Yes, that is indeed the law for all travellers in Spain. 

Host need ask for personal details and register guests with the Gardia Civil or face fines for not doing that. 

You can find more information in this post - 

https://blog.upmarket.cloud/unraveling-spains-airbnb-mystery-do-hosts-need-my-passport/

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8

They need to fill the guestbook and form for tourist office. Common practice is to get data from passport when you arrive, sometimes hotels or apartment owners make a copy of the page with picture and personal data.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

No you don't have to necessary give passport number. **[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines

@Saundra20 I am struggling to see the relevance of Florida in a question that applies to Spain.

Judit29
Level 1
Costa del Silencio, Spain

I mhost in Tenerife and since we obtained VV license (5 years now) we have obligation to ask for personal details (passport or national ID details) to register all incoming guests to Gardia Civil (Hospederias). Host can face a big penalty not complying with this obligation. 

Judit29
Level 1
Costa del Silencio, Spain

Yes, it is the law.. but unfortunately I struggle also to explain it to some guests, as not all host follows this process and guests always question me why I need the data when others before have not asked 😞 ..
All hotels take a copy of passport also (for same reason). Private accommodation has the obligation also by law to report all guests staying in the apartment over 16. Its part of Schengen Agreement against organized crime - we report in Spain to Guardia Civil (Hospederias) online. 

Actually, hotels do ask for passport info yes, however, they are not forwarding this info to the police as you and other hosts do.

Yes, that is indeed the law for all travellers in Spain. 

Host need ask for personal details and register guests with the Gardia Civil or face fines for not doing that. 

You can find more information in this post - 

https://blog.upmarket.cloud/unraveling-spains-airbnb-mystery-do-hosts-need-my-passport/

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

That's a really informative article @Shani138 , thank you so much for sharing! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen