Host tells me they need to cancel the booking, but they want me to cancel instead of them

Host tells me they need to cancel the booking, but they want me to cancel instead of them

I have a booking in 4 days, and this morning my host messaged me that she needs to cancel. Now, her cancellation policy is such that if I had cancelled yesterday before 3pm I would have received a 100% refund. But since she waited until today at 8:30am, if I cancel, I get only a 50% refund. (Obviously, I'm not going to cancel, since she as the host is the one cancelling the booking.)

Anyway, because I still need to stay somewhere in 4 days (traveling with pets, etc. so it's slightly complicated) I booked a VRBO that costs a bit more, but I have to have a place. 

I contacted Customer Service at AirBnB, and they told me definitely I should not be the one to cancel the booking, my host should. Now, I understand all this, however, my concern is what if she doesn't go ahead and cancel? If the booking still is on the books, and I don't show up in 4 days to check in... Am I still going to get charged? What options do I have here to protect my pocket book from paying for 2 bookings? Obviously I'm not going to show up to check in, because she's telling me she can't do it - but what if she doesn't actually cancel in time?

5 Replies 5
Malikah1
Level 1
Garner, NC

I think you should discuss it further with the host and express you concerns about the cancellation fee/policy. If they don't budge, you shouldn't either. I'd show up to check in and make tentative backup arrangements in case they cancel day of.

The host unfortunately stopped responding to my messages. It was a frustrating situation. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Sarah5967 👋

It's been a while since you posted and I'm wondering whether you managed to get a resolution to your question? 

It'd be great to hear from you, so we can understand what the resolution was but also to support other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Rebecca,

I reached out to AirBnB customer support, as the host stopped responding to my messages. Customer support messaged the host and gave them 24 hours to respond, but the host didn't respond to them either. So at that point AirBnB cancelled the booking and gave me a full refund. Customer service at first wanted me to go ahead and stay at the apartment despite everything, but I said I wasn't comfortable with a non-responsive host who clearly didn't want me staying at the apartment.

It was a very disappointing situation for me, fortunately I was able to book a different place through another website to accommodate my stay.

I was bummed that I couldn't leave the host a review, and I saw after my stay was cancelled suddenly, another person had a similar situation happen with this host, but they must have stayed at the apartment still, so they were able to leave a review and let people know that the host really shouldn't be booking right now as they're unavailable and out of the country. Hopefully people will see that review before booking with that host!

I understand that things come up in life suddenly, but as a host I think communication is key. And if you're going to be unable to accommodate stays for a while, you should go ahead and cancel the bookings honestly and then push pause on new bookings until you're back and able to take care of your guests (either that, or have a friend who can help take care of everything while you're away).

I've learned that I'll no longer book with anyone besides Super Hosts, because this has never happened to me before. 

@Sarah5967 Sadly some super hosts are not perfect either. I would always message a host whilst in the 48hr free cancellation period (or before booking). A quick interaction will often tell you how responsive/reliable a host is likely to be.