Host tried to force me to cancel... then canceled on us

Host tried to force me to cancel... then canceled on us

I booked my first Airbnb for a weekend away with my parents and young children in a low-population town with limited options. We were delighted to find something that would fit our needs for the weekend. Nearly a month after booking, the host reached out to me asking if I would be willing to cancel so a long-term guest could extend their stay. He even offered me an additional $50 to do so. I politely declined, stating we had other plans in place, and there weren't any other accommodations that would fit our needs for that time (we would have shifted a week or so, but other places were booked months out or didn't fit our needs.) I didn't receive another message from the host so assumed things were ok.

Then a month later, 31 days prior to our reservation date, late at night - he decided to cancel on us anyway. He messaged me saying he has no other choice but the other guest needs to stay, and offered me an additional $100 for the inconvenience. 

It's rather discouraging to know other guests receive priority over those who plan ahead... I have little motivation to ever book again.

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Carly255 Sadly there are occasional hosts out there who do the wrong thing. This host will have been fined but that is of little consequence to you. Have you tried invoking the Aircover guarantee with Airbnb? If not you should ask them to find you another place.