Hosting Pets - vaccination can be required?

Hosting Pets - vaccination can be required?

I have a question - Can I require proof of vaccination of pets that guests may be bringing? Protecting my own pets is a priority. Thanks!

13 Replies 13
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kitty-and-Creek0 If your own pets are vaccinated, why would it matter?

@Sarah977

That is not answering my question. But it is another question, and a good one. Among other things, we have abundant wildlife here, also feral animals, and a guest's pet could be in danger of getting a deadly disease. 

@Kitty-and-Creek0  I know it didn't answer your question, I was just curious.

I certainly don't know if you'd be called to task for requiring that guests' pets be vaccinated, anymore than you do, but if I were a pet owner and a host warned that feral animals were endemic to the area, could be carrying rabies or other communicable diseases and that their pet should be vaccinated to be safe, I would either thank you for the info and assure you that my pet was vaccinated, or withdraw the request if it wasn't.

But I know all guests don't exercise such common sense 🙂

@Sarah977 

That is my thinking. And - Are we allowed to ask? 

And also, I am told that there is a law here stating that pets must be registered, and in order to be registered they must be vaccinated. Can we require that of guests' pets? I've searched and cannot find any mention of any of these things in the platform. We've not been in a position to have to deal with this yet, but expect that in time it will come up, as all things do.

@Kitty-and-Creek0  Most of the Airbnb policies state that local law takes precedent, like hosts in many European countries being required by law to register guests with the local authorities, therefore can legally request guest's ID info, passport copies, etc.

So if your local law requires registration and vaccination, I don't see how you could get in trouble for asking and requiring that, as long as you make it clear in your listing why this is required.

Airbnb can't expect or force you to do something that's illegal where you live.

@Sarah977

Thanks for that - it is what I expected, but could not find anything on the platform that said how to deal with any possible pet requirements. As you know, I tread carefully. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Kitty-and-Creek0  you can ask. You can say you have restrictions on breeds in your area as well as wildlife that may transmit diseases so you need all pet owners to provide a copy of the most recent rabies vaccination. In my area this is as simple as a dog tag. You should put this in your policies and make sure that your guests are all aware. 

Once I had a very strange woman try to train my dog. I had hired her right after I got him and he was a very skittish rescue and did not like her at all. She reached over his head and he bit her. Not badly but it broke the skin. She flipped out and took pictures of his rabies tag, calling my vet and saying she would sue me (seems like being nipped might be a employment hazard of a dog trainer but what do I know?) So I researched the law.  As long as my dog was up to date and I had proof, I was fine. Just tell your guests that it protects them in case anything happens. 

@Laura2592 

Thank you for this information. Rabies, distemper, pneumonitis, and to not be repulsed by ticks and fleas. 

What a strange trainer! That overhead move would seem to me to be frightening to a skittish rescue dog. 

I'm glad we can ask, because some  people I know who consider their pets to be family members would be put off by such a question. 

Country pets and city pets are very different creatures altogether. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kitty-and-Creek0 I pretty much assumed it was standard practice with pet owners to have them vaccinated, but maybe not. 

Definitely a difference between city pets and country ones. My dog has been a country girl since she came to me as a pup. She trots off to the back of an empty field behind me or down to the arroyo to do her business and won't even pee in my yard. Was a bit of a shocker to realize how private she considers that when I took her on an 8 day road trip to discover she wouldn't relieve herself while on a leash. Instead she held it for up to 9 hours until I got to somewhere it was safe to let her off-leash 🙂

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

@Kitty-and-Creek0

See your local regulations. For my area, a pet passport is required. Or Transit Declaration, if the guest comes from non-EU country.

Jennifer3267
Level 2
Billings, MT

Kitty I require proof of vaccination for dogs. I just spoke to Airbnb and they told me that is their policy but I can not find it anywhere. I do dog services in my home. I have pet insurance for my business. My insurance states all dogs must have proof of vaccination. If there was an incident with a dog and they were not vaccinated I would not be covered. I am waiting for Airbnb to send me the site where they state vaccinations must accompany their pet. One more thing better check your home insurance what it says about pets. Just because your pet is fully vaccinated does not mean it can't get something from from an unvaccinated pet. Kennel cough is a big one. Why if the pet bit you? Dogs react they are dogs. Even the best ones. I will let you know if Airbnb pulls through. I will cancel guest if they don't send proof when they book. Mine and my dogs safety is more important than whatever Airbnb thinks

Do you have any more info on requiring guests for proof of rabies? I know a true service animal is likely up to date. It's the ones claiming to have service animals that I worry aboit.

Kathy,

I except dogs but guest can not book with them until they send a picture of their dog and proof of rabies and kennel cough. I have had no issues!!