Hosting in a college town

Sherry189
Level 2
Kailua, HI

Hosting in a college town

I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for declining guests who I think may throw a party?  My house is in a college town and on a few occasions I’ve run into a situation where a student is trying to rent the house (one student did succeed at renting my house and a party was thrown). It’s not unusual for a student’s phone number and address to reflect their permanent home even though they live locally so the Airbnb algorithm may not flag them. Can I just decline if I suspect they could be local college students? Can I require that they not live locally in the house rules?  I do have a two-night minimum and a very high rate during football season to discourage this. And my broader question is how much discretion do I have in declining guests? 

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sherry189 Using Instant Book you have 3 'free' cancellations before you have to contact Airbnb. I would personally always contact Airbnb, explain it may be someone planning a party, and get their agreement to cancel free of penalty.

The sad reality is that even if cancellation is free of visible penalty there may still be consequences with regard to your property's search position. This however is a non-issue compared to having your place trashed.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Sherry189   If your desired guests are parents of a student who are coming for a visit with their child, increase your rates, set your nights to a three night minimum, or do not do instant book. 

This is YOUR property and you have the right to decline anyone that you are concerned is not going to be a good guest.  If guests have to submit a Request to Book, you will have the opportunity to communicate.  Do not be concerned that not being on instant book is going to tank your bookings -- if you want responsible adults and not party animals, the delay in booking via the request should actually garner better bookings.