Hotel-style checkout times need to go

Answered!
Kyril0
Level 2
New York, NY

Hotel-style checkout times need to go

Love AirBNB, been hosting for five years. 

But when I book as a guest for my own travel - I often notice that a lot of hosts put '10-11AM checkout time'.

While it may make sense for some, when they have new guests arriving the same afternoon - what percentage of hosts get booked solid like that?
Many are not - but the 10AM checkout requirement is still there.

I feel like it's something that people do automatically,  without giving it a second thought - just because we're all so used to hotels doing it, we don't notice anymore.

But my guests are mostly european, so their return flights  - from here in New York - mostly depart at night.
So I learned early on that I just can't push people out at 11 AM and have them hover around town with kids and bags for 6 hours - as convenient as that is would be for me, I just couldn't feel right about doing that.

Can we maybe ask AirBNB to add a dialog to the host interface that brings this to the host's attention?

Even better - can we ask airBNB to add logic to bookings that makes the checkout time default to (Guest's Return Flight time)  minus (4 hours).
And allow us hosts to override that on a case-by-case basis, if we really need the cleaning done early.

I know that for my own travel, if I see in a listing the 'checkout time 10AM', and the host is not flexible - I am moving on to another host.
This is inhumane treatment of guests.

For hotels, I understand - they have shifts of cleaning maids sweeping the building, they have rooms turning over the same day.

But for us - I believe airBNB should change the default, and link it to guests' flight departure time.

Again - I am a host,  and I believe this is one more practice that could set us apart as a better alternative to hotels.

Kyril Mocine
1 Best Answer
Ralf5
Level 10
Inzell, Germany

@Kyril0, I understand your point but after having read all the various comments to your thread I don't think that the majority of the Airbnb host do define their check-out time to 10 am or 11 am just because it might be the default check-out time in most hotels. Most of us have their own reasons.

In my case I started to rent out a private room in Munich some years ago and at the beginning I didn't have any check-in or check-out times. But then I learned that especially during Oktoberfest and international trade fairs I needed to define check-in as well as check-out times in order to manage back to backs. Of course I did offer to guests from the US or Canada (their flight arrives usually very early in the morning)  to drop off their luggage and use the bath room and also to guest with a late flight to leave their luggage and pick it up later.

Now, I am living in a touristic area in the country side and this is a totally different business. I am getting guest from all over the world, but they they all usally have rented cars driving around Europe and so their arrival at my home does not depend on any flight, because they started in Berlin for 2 or 3 days, then they went to Prague, after this the came to my house (I am close to Salzburg), after this they went Venice and the to Croatia and finally they took ended up in Paris, Vienna or Barcelona to take their return flight back home.

In order to do the cleaning I need to have the guests check-out at 10 am, well between 11 and 12 is still ok, but then I am getting nervous to get everythig done before the new guest arrive, my check-in is from 5 to 9 pm. A lot of guest ask if they can check-in earlier which is no problem at the week-ends but due to my full time job this is not always possible (I hate the automatic self check-in, because I always give a little tour and ask if they need any tips for sights or restaureants or similar). Most of my guests check out before 9 am because they usually have to drive a couple of hours and want to arrive home before dinner. There might be 2 or 3 guests out of 200 who ask for a late check which is fine for me if the next guests arrival is scheduled late in the evening.

On the other side I do have quite often guests who ask for a late check-in after midnight (right after work they start driving 6 or 7 hours to get here), of course I accept, even if I have to get up early the next day to get to work . You see, I also do my best, but its not always easy to offer early or late check-in or check-out. Sometimes it is impossible and then I stick to my rules and all my guests so far did understand.

I personnally think your approach to offer a late check-out is an extraordinary conveniance from your side. Regarding an extra tool for a check-out depending on the flight scheldules I think this would be an overkilll.

View Best Answer in original post

40 Replies 40
Ralf5
Level 10
Inzell, Germany

@Kyril0, I understand your point but after having read all the various comments to your thread I don't think that the majority of the Airbnb host do define their check-out time to 10 am or 11 am just because it might be the default check-out time in most hotels. Most of us have their own reasons.

In my case I started to rent out a private room in Munich some years ago and at the beginning I didn't have any check-in or check-out times. But then I learned that especially during Oktoberfest and international trade fairs I needed to define check-in as well as check-out times in order to manage back to backs. Of course I did offer to guests from the US or Canada (their flight arrives usually very early in the morning)  to drop off their luggage and use the bath room and also to guest with a late flight to leave their luggage and pick it up later.

Now, I am living in a touristic area in the country side and this is a totally different business. I am getting guest from all over the world, but they they all usally have rented cars driving around Europe and so their arrival at my home does not depend on any flight, because they started in Berlin for 2 or 3 days, then they went to Prague, after this the came to my house (I am close to Salzburg), after this they went Venice and the to Croatia and finally they took ended up in Paris, Vienna or Barcelona to take their return flight back home.

In order to do the cleaning I need to have the guests check-out at 10 am, well between 11 and 12 is still ok, but then I am getting nervous to get everythig done before the new guest arrive, my check-in is from 5 to 9 pm. A lot of guest ask if they can check-in earlier which is no problem at the week-ends but due to my full time job this is not always possible (I hate the automatic self check-in, because I always give a little tour and ask if they need any tips for sights or restaureants or similar). Most of my guests check out before 9 am because they usually have to drive a couple of hours and want to arrive home before dinner. There might be 2 or 3 guests out of 200 who ask for a late check which is fine for me if the next guests arrival is scheduled late in the evening.

On the other side I do have quite often guests who ask for a late check-in after midnight (right after work they start driving 6 or 7 hours to get here), of course I accept, even if I have to get up early the next day to get to work . You see, I also do my best, but its not always easy to offer early or late check-in or check-out. Sometimes it is impossible and then I stick to my rules and all my guests so far did understand.

I personnally think your approach to offer a late check-out is an extraordinary conveniance from your side. Regarding an extra tool for a check-out depending on the flight scheldules I think this would be an overkilll.

Janet440
Level 2
Galveston, TX

I list a check in time and checkout time but then add “ask me about early check in or check out and I can usually accommodate you!”  I think this sends a friendly message and the guest seems appreciative... about half the time I have people ask and if no one is coming in that day I have no problem with a later checkout. It may mean they have one more extended time at the beach since they want to shower before driving home so I think it helps my reviews!

Jeanne40
Level 2
Sonoma, CA

I have an 11 am checkout as I do have to get it ready for the next guests arrival a lot of the time.  But if I dont have new guests coming in that day, I always let the guests know they can stay later if they would like, and that seems to work out fine.  And if they ask me for a late checkout I always try to accomodate if possible, and they are understanding if it isnt possible.  It works when I am travelling also, everyone is pretty understanding about it.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Kyril0

You are so lucky to have housekeepers that will come at your beck and call.

10:00 on Tuesday, 3:00 on Wednesday, 9:00 Thursday, 5:00 on Friday....

In my city, labor is expensive and I must compete for housekeepers. 

Not many housekeepers would work for me if I had such inconsistant hours. 

So a 11:00 am - 2:00 pm turnaround works just fine.

That said, guests may stow their bags early or late.

Angela1123
Level 2
Ludlow, VT

I am new to the hosting scene and I already have a back to back booking situation on my plate. Personally, I like the idea of flexibility and communication with the guests on both ends to avoid overlap, coordinating cleaning times and juggling life. The professional I have cleaning also juggles another job and family so we decided to set check in and out times, I did mark check in flexible, but I did not see check out time flexible as an option, that would have been helpful in this case.

It would also be helpful if the guests responded to messages, ugh. Radio silence is no bueno!!

Marsh2
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hi there, 

I manage 3 super host properties in Washington DC. We do check in at 2:00 pm or later and check out at 11:00 am or earlier. We do get many requests for later check-out or earlier check-in. The problem is that our monthly booking is around 85% and we allow single night bookings. When possible we allow a 12:30 pm check out since it takes only 1.3 hours to get the place ready for the next guests. If the turn over crew has time then we allow the later checkouts. What has worked for us, and our guests love it,  is that we built a storage locker in the back patio with keyless entry. So if they have a late flight they can leave their bags in storage and continue enjoying the city. Also if they arrive early they simply leave their bags in the lockers and pick them up once they check-in.  If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. cheers.

Gary382
Level 3
Idyllwild-Pine Cove, CA

Why would you want to give your space away for free?  If you are on instant book you very well could get another booking...

This is my standard checkout message sent via the app about 9:30 on day of checkout.

Good morning we really hope you enjoyed your stay, just a reminder that checkout is 11:00 and the housekeeper is scheduled.  Should you like a later check out, 1:00 that is available for a $45 fee please let us know asap so we can let the housekeeper know.

I am the housekeeper.

Once the guests know its pay to stay they either are out at 11 or they pay to stay.  a 1:00 checkout gives me just enough time to have it ready for a 4:00 check in.

Gary

Dino50
Level 2
York, United Kingdom

My check out is 12 noon. Allot leave before then. Check in not before 3pm. If I dont have a guest in the same day as one is leaving and they want to leave bags I let them. But room is vacated by 12 noon no exceptions. And early check in can be a pain in the a@@@ss. But with guests I really get on with I will be more flexible. I am central to my city and have private parking which is like Gold dust where I am. I charge for private parking. And loads want to get in early , but I usually say no or jack up the price but its still at least half that of council city parking.

Its funny when guests try to question why I charge for private parking lol and I tell them its fine use the public car park and then they see its double at least from what I charge. Give an inch they take 2.

I was rammed last summer when I started and expect to be again this coming year so will have almost zero flexibilty on check in times for room or parking. Lessons learned from the past 😉 but each to there own.

Jill2
Level 8
Franklin, TN

@Kyril0 I believe you can see by the 1410 views your post has versus 4 "thumbs up" received that the VAST majority of hosts do not agree with your philosophy.  This is approx.  0.25%.  I do not understand why you assume many rentals are not booked back to back because many are including myself.  I do believe it makes a difference if one considers this a side hobby or a real business.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Kyril0  then change your check out times. No one says you have to have 10 or 11.

We have a full day between guests for COVID disinfecting protocol so are very flexible with check in and check out times. We recently had a guest who was on some heavy meds for cancer treatment and asked for a later checkout (ours is noon) because he had trouble getting up in the morning. Not a problem. If the guests have been decent we routinely offer a later check out.

I don't see this as an issue. Just like a recent social media post I ran across where a host was complaining that others didn't all have king sized beds in their listing, it seems like a personal preference and not something everyone should be expected to accommodate in lock step. We are all different-- that is what makes the world go round!

Jeff528
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I've never stayed in a hotel with a check-out time earlier than 11:00 AM (most are noon)  and all the vacation rentals we stay at have 11:00 AM check-out times. 

A few times I wanted to stay at vacation rentals managed by Vacasa (for example), but balked at the early check-out time of 10:00 AM.  It's too early and makes me wonder what else is wrong.