House Rules/Guests showing up with pets, not mentioning pets, and then not paying the pet fee...

Answered!

House Rules/Guests showing up with pets, not mentioning pets, and then not paying the pet fee...

Lately I have had some humdingers so yes, I am overly tired and blah blah blah BUT,  what is the point of even having a pet fee when guests don't mention any pets, or pay the fee? (2 out of 4 have urinated in the house hence the "pet fee")

You find out either, on your "listed" outdoor security camera or, when you go to clean it up. And yes, I'm sure it is a service animal. Aren't they all? Not a pet hater here, we have indoor pets in our own home. I am a "something for not much hater"

lol What can we do about this?

Lisa Wilkinson
1 Best Answer
James3706
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

@Lisa7068 I completely understand your frustration with guests not disclosing their pets and not paying the pet fee. To address this issue effectively, I recommend two strategies:

1. Clear House Rules: Make sure your house rules explicitly state your pet policy, including the pet fee. This will help guests become more aware of the policy and its consequences.

2. Pet Deposit: Consider implementing a pet deposit as part of your house rules. This deposit can serve as a deterrent for guests who may be tempted not to disclose their pets. It also provides you with a means to cover any damages caused by pets during their stay.

Or... you can set a $0 pet fee and mention in your house rues there is a pet deposit (I do this on my listings and my previous listings) usually the guest will ask if pets are allowed and if there is a pet fee (in my experience). I then send my message including the pet fee and follow up with the request for the deposit after the guest books. I have not had any problems with guest not disclosing pets via this strategy.

At the end of the day you can always have Airbnb support step in and assist.

By following these approaches, you can better manage your pet policy and minimize instances where guests do not adhere to it. 

I hope this helps in some way!

Best, 

James 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3

Well sounds like an additional cleaning fee. I don't charge a cleaning fee and to date haven't had to but what I do is advice guest that because they have no cleaning fee I expect the home to be in the condition given or a cleaning fee shall be imposed. Even if it is a so called service animal, it's still an animal so advice the guest that if the so called service animal is not trained as a service animal should be a cleaning fee or additional cleaning fee shall be imposed. File a claim and call it wonderful. Lastly, I have cameras on my property and if I have a clear violation I will confront the guest and ask for payment or ask them to leave immediately.

James3706
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

@Lisa7068 I completely understand your frustration with guests not disclosing their pets and not paying the pet fee. To address this issue effectively, I recommend two strategies:

1. Clear House Rules: Make sure your house rules explicitly state your pet policy, including the pet fee. This will help guests become more aware of the policy and its consequences.

2. Pet Deposit: Consider implementing a pet deposit as part of your house rules. This deposit can serve as a deterrent for guests who may be tempted not to disclose their pets. It also provides you with a means to cover any damages caused by pets during their stay.

Or... you can set a $0 pet fee and mention in your house rues there is a pet deposit (I do this on my listings and my previous listings) usually the guest will ask if pets are allowed and if there is a pet fee (in my experience). I then send my message including the pet fee and follow up with the request for the deposit after the guest books. I have not had any problems with guest not disclosing pets via this strategy.

At the end of the day you can always have Airbnb support step in and assist.

By following these approaches, you can better manage your pet policy and minimize instances where guests do not adhere to it. 

I hope this helps in some way!

Best, 

James 

Hi @James3706 & @Lisa7068 

I like this idea!  We may have to take a look doing this. Right now we are not on IB on one property that we allow pets. This offers the opportunity to screen guests and we do ask before approving if they are bringing pets. If they say yes, then we explain our house rules and send the pet policy (includes $150 fine per pet/per night for undisclosed pets in house rules). If they haven't added pets to Trip Request, we ask them to withdraw/cancel booking request and submit a new one that shows "pets". That way we get the pet fee up front.

Thanks for your great ideas!