How Do I (or Can I) Allow a Booking in Exchange for a Service?

Answered!

How Do I (or Can I) Allow a Booking in Exchange for a Service?

Hi - I'm very new (less than 2 weeks) and have read in other posting about hosts who exchange stays for influencers, etc.
Is there a legit way to exchange a stay for a guest who is providing a service so that they may also leave a review (not the review that is the service)? If so, what does that look like?

I've also seen where Airbnb has removed reviews from guests with super low rates (incentivised I believe they called it) so obviously I wouldn't want that. I'm not trying to scam anyone including Airbnb. Just figuring out how it all works.

I expect Airbnb would still like their fee but I'm not sure how that works either.

Thanks in advance,

Tamara

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tamara682  There is no way for you to exchange a service for a stay at your place without actually having the person book for what appears to be a reasonable price. 

If they do the work they are trading you (and I would hope you know and trust this person) to your satisfaction, there's nothing stopping you from reimbursing them in cash for what  they paid to book.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tamara682 social influencers = freeloaders in my book. Unless your demographic is freeloaders I would steer well clear especially as Airbnb are likely to remove the review anyway.

@Mike-And-Jane0  Yes!!  This is an insult to hard working hosts!! 

I was thinking more along the lines of the person who is going to dig the wells for the windows. I don't consider reviews a service, but they absolutely are necessary. The ability to review after staying in the place seems like a no brainer.

I used the influencer example because someone else had posted that as their example.

If I simply wanted to scam the system as it were, I wouldn't have bothered asking.

Tamara

Normen0
Level 10
Canada

@Tamara682 From a different experience I have learned that there is a minimum price you can have for a rental before fees. In a Canada, I believe it is $12.50. I’m sure this is in place to prevent what you are talking about. Also to ensure AIRBNB gets their fees.
I cannot see how what you are saying (and you are not saying) this isn’t a free stay for a 5 star rating.  

Here is my advice though. If something is worth doing, do it right. Don’t take short cuts. If you have to prepare your place to a certain level to guarantee a five star review from a free or very low paying influencer, then just do the same preparation for full paying guests. Unless you are wanting the influencer to post on social media about what a fantastic place this is and then get barraged by every other influencer for a free stay promising xyz. 
Is that your target group? A bunch of twenty somethings that want everything for free?

I think this is an insult to all the hosts who have done the hard work and risen to the top. Put the work in and get real money for real services.

I had an influencer contact me once with the promise to promote my place. Honestly in the messages they sent me, I couldn’t even comprehend what they were saying. It was all  written in short form code language. I had to ask them what they were saying. No thank you!  

I get my five star reviews honestly. 

Think of the flip side. Something goes wrong during an influencer’s stay and they tell the whole world on social media.  

Hi Norman,

Thank you for your insight. I'm not interested in influencers btw. I've worked very hard on my place, and I certainly didn't cut any corners as you put it. Feel free to see for yourself. 

https://airbnb.com/h/sunnysagerivers

My listing isn't available until mid-April because I am finishing up last minute updates (such as egress windows installation). I was thinking more along the lines of the person who is going to dig the wells for the windows. I don't consider reviews a service, but they absolutely are necessary. The ability to review after staying in the place seems like a no brainer. I used the influencer example because someone else had posted that as their example.

Again, thanks for the insight,

Tamara

Just for the record, I've sunk enough $ into this place that I now have PSTD from shopping lol!

Believe me, I get it. Plus, I live on the top floor. I have absolutely no desire to start my business by hiring opportunists to give me fake reviews or feedback that will not help me in the least to ensure the product I provide is top notch. Nor does it serve any purpose at all to trade services for stays as a matter of routine. No profit in it. And it definitely serves no purpose to get on Airbnb's 'low life' list or try to shortchange them out of the important service they offer.

Honestly, it's not my intention to offend anyone. It was an honest question. Your feedback is appreciated.

@Tamara682  @Sarah977 gave you excellent advice based on the additional specifics you provided.  Sorry we jumped on you but we didn’t have all the information. Good luck. I hope it turns out great!! 

Thank you

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tamara682  There is no way for you to exchange a service for a stay at your place without actually having the person book for what appears to be a reasonable price. 

If they do the work they are trading you (and I would hope you know and trust this person) to your satisfaction, there's nothing stopping you from reimbursing them in cash for what  they paid to book.

Thank you.

@Tamara682

I'm pretty new to Air B&B hosting myself, just started in February. At first I was concerned about getting bookings, but the reservations just keep coming. Your place looks so nice, I bet you will find that the quality of your rental is what appeals to a guest, and not the opinion of someone who got to stay there for free for a good review.

Christine

Christine

@Christine3190 Thank you. So far it's like watching paint dry lol. I'm not considering it for the review, I would like to take advantage of getting a review though for anyone staying here, but rather for a trade in actual service as I'm having some expensive upgrades done. It just seems to make sense if I have open dates and it saves me money.
That said, I haven't decided whether or not I am sold on the tactic. I really appreciate your comment.