How can I get a full refund? - Failed Payment Cancellation

How can I get a full refund? - Failed Payment Cancellation

Recently, I made a reservation in Joshua Tree using ‘Pay part now, Part later’. It says half of the amount will be charged on Jan 12.

On Jan 19, I got a notification that my reservation is cancelled because of failed payment. The thing is my credit card works just fine and I didnt receive any other notifications beforehand so I contacted the host and explained everything.

At first, the host suggested that if I make a new reservation first, then she will request the full refund to Airbnb. At that time, I want to make sure there is a chance if I cannot get a full refund since it is an Airbnb platform, not by the host itself.

And then she said:

“I previously just explained to you what I would do when you rebook, request the refund from Airbnb. I have to be honest and let you know I am becoming more uncomfortable with this reservation; it states you cancelled it, but you are saying you did not. “Unfortunately, your guest XXX had to cancel reservation **.”

“I’m sorry but we will no longer be able to accommodate this reservation, and I will still go ahead and request you are refunded from Airbnb for the $159. Apologies it did not work out and I do hope you find an accommodation that better suites you. Wishing you all the best and please allow a couple days to hear back from Airbnb. “

It was really frustrating and all of sudden I have to book a new place and my vacation is only a week away.

I contacted Airbnb and they said host does that agree to pay me back and there is nothing that Airbnb can do. Refund policy depends on the host’s decision.

I messaged her about this dishonesty but hasn’t even read my message.

What can I do to get a full refund? Im just sitting here and getting charged for no reason.

**[Reservation number hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

3 Replies 3
Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

@Najeong0,

Welcome - you’ve reached a community of hosts and guests who share experiences, stories and advice. 

I’m sorry to hear about what happened. Sometimes tech glitches happen and it is not the fault of the guest. What happened sounds unreasonable after your exchange with the host. Did all of this communication occur in the Airbnb platform? I hope so, so you can show the screenshots and Airbnb and can look T your communication with the host who said she would refund you then didn’t. What was her cancellation policy?

@Bhumika @Paula @Rebecca (our community host managers), can you do anything to help Najeong out?

Dear Lorina, Thank you for your reply and tagging the team I need. I obviously have a screen shot and send it to Airbnb as well.

However, the case is closed because host changed her mind after all…

Bhumika_0-1706039840823.png

[Image edited by Community Manager to remove Host's name from the image]

@Najeong0,

Hopefully they can still look into your case to see why your card was charged then declined when on your end you had no issues with your credit card. And why the host said she would refund the reservation as it didn’t start and then changed her mind but didn’t tell you. I hope you have the screen shots of the earlier conversations with the host too.

have read of other guests who have had issues with purchasing a gift card from Airbnb with their credit card and there was no issue when they tried to charge it at other retailers.