How can I help my Chinese guests feel more at home?

Christina76
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

How can I help my Chinese guests feel more at home?

At the end of this month, I will be hosting 3 guests from Bejing, China. I have hosted through Airbnb for over a year now with another property but these guests will be the first ones to stay at my newer location. One of the guests (who initially messaged me and finalized booking) seems to know how to speak pretty good english. I noticed that he went to a high school nearby and when I checked his Facebook, it looks like he's been to different parts of the United States as well. I'm assuming his other two guests would be his mother and father. 

I want to make them feel welcome so I'm trying to put together a list of things I could provide for them upon their arrival. (Along with the usual amentities) I will be greeting them at the door with the key and giving them a tour of the house too. 

What are your suggestions for items they might find useful to make their stay as comfortable as possible? 

Thanks!

Christina

14 Replies 14
Sean---Enrique0
Level 3
Niagara Falls, NY

You're a very thoughtful host! I like it.

- I have no suggestions however 😬
C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

You certainly are very thoughtful! I have adored all my Chinese and other Asian guests. One of them left me a beautiful scarf in a gorgeous package as a thank you. Last year, incidentally, my a/c crapped out during a stay. It was high summer and I was frantic! My dear guest finally said, "Don't worry--it's much hotter than this in Korea." He was so serious! How can anything be hotter than Memphis in July? Maybe leaving them a small gift would be appreciated.

My Chinese studetns are always giving me trinket-like souvenirs. A lot collect stamps, but you can't guaruntee that.

Gloria68
Level 1
Hawthorne, CA

I highly suggest slippers or cheap flip flops. I have a no shoes policy, but it's still so welcome. Also having a list of activities to do and money saving tips is also a hit with my guests.
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

While I don't have anything to offer regarding this issue, I want to acknowledge that your issue epitomizes the Air BNB experiencce!  Thank you

Very thoughtful and a good question. I live in SG at the moment and notice there are some very important cultural etiquette issues for a variety of countries...perhaps this will help you pick the right thing 🙂

Welcoming Chinese People to Your Home
If you are welcoming people into your home and would like to present them with a traditional Chinese gift, consider a basket of apples. The Mandarin word for apple resembles the word for peace, so this gift is friendly and appropriate for any guest. Be sure to present your guest with an even number of apples, because odd numbers represent bad luck. Never present your guest with four of anything, because the number four signifies death in Chinese culture. Once you offer your gift to your guest, be prepared for him to decline it at least two or three times. Traditionally, the Chinese consider it polite to decline your generosity. Do not give up after your first offer. You should also not expect your guests to unwrap their gifts in front of you, if they are wrapped. The Chinese think it is rude to open gifts in front of the giver.

Welcoming Chinese People to Your Country
If you are welcoming Chinese people to your country for the first time, you will probably want to present them with a more significant gift. After all, they traveled quite a long distance to meet with you and you want to show them that you appreciate their efforts. If you are welcoming Chinese business partners, it is appropriate to present them with fine liquor, tobacco, chocolates or specialty gourmet food items. If you want to present your Chinese guests with something particularly fine, a nice pen or bookmark would fit the bill. If you are welcoming Chinese people to your country for personal reasons, consider presenting them with a handmade gift. The Chinese, like most people, value things that are one-of-a-kind. A handmade gift shows your guests that you think their visit is special and should be commemorated.

Taboos
There are some gifts that are always inappropriate in traditional Chinese culture. You should never present guests with a white gift or a gift wrapped in white paper because this is reserved for funerals. Avoid offering any type of gift in increments of four, such as fruit or flowers, because this number also symbolizes death. Do not offer Chinese people chrysanthemums, because these flowers are funerary. You should also never present a Chinese person with a clock because the word for clock resembles termination. Do not give your guests an umbrella, because the pronunciation for umbrella resembles separation, and do not give your guests knives, which also represent severing.

@Lisa-and-Agnès0@Marta83

Awesome cultural observations but I guess that lots of taboos are forgotten and ignored by most Chinese nowadays. Also, they are usually forgiving and tolerant to foreigners who may not know the Chinese culture well.

One major difference between Chinese and non-Chinese (esp. Westerners) is that Chinese people value friendship and family ties more than anything else, and so they may treat "their own people" well while remaining indifferent to strangers. This has been confirmed by Francis Fukuyama's "The Origins of Political Order." In the book, the author argues that in history Europeans used to value kinship as much as the Chinese did, but Christianity undermined the family and individualism arose.

I also read that though China, Japan and Korea all have their values and ethics built on Confucian doctrines, each country has their own focus. Japan focuses on loyalty, so they have the most loyal and obedient employees in the world. Korea cares more about filial piety, and so when a woman marries a Korean man, she will have to serve his mother well, too. China values human ties, to which there is both pros and cons. Cons because it can often mean that they may want to get away with established rules just in consideration of maintaining human ties. For example, if a policeman catches you speeding, and he happens to be dating your sister, then he probably won't give you a ticket. 

But there are also lots of pros, which means if you welcome them to your house, they might already consider you "their own people" if they receive welcoming and accomodating vibes instead of "we and the Other" attitude. Many Chinese people have asked me what kind of gifts they should prepare for their foreign Airbnb hosts. I always recommend Peking Opera dolls and masks, papercut, Suzhou sandal wood fans, etc.

Being Chinese and having hosted 4 Chinese guests, I loved these fellow country(wo)men, though we are aware of the demonization of Chinese tourists all over the world. 

Of the 4 Chinese guests, two of them were a mother and daughter, who cleaned the guest bathroom and kitchen even after others used them. And a young guy who would like to invite me to dinner after I took him to a friend's dinner party. And an older guy originally from Taiwan, who shared with me his bittersweet diasporic stories and his dream that Taiwan and Mainland would be united one day if the Chinese government accepts democracy. He came here to buy a condo to live with his wife after retirement and after three children all had moved out to live on their own, and told me that he would only look for condos near my house because he wanted to be my neighbour. I loved them so much and I miss them so much. 

Thank you for this Lisa & Agnès,

We are expecting a family of three from Bejing, and your advice has been very welcome. Especially about the numbers, and putting out apples. That's easy enough, and we do want them to feel welcome!

Marta83
Level 3
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I've been hosting for almost 4 years in Amsterdam and have a lot of Chinese guests. 
-Most Chinese people drink hot water, not tea, just hot water. I always make a pot of hot water for tea but never put the tea bag inside, guests can choose their tea flavour and chinese guests just take water. 

-If it's girls prepare yourself for lots of black hairs on the floor (and everywhere), if you have carpet make sure you vacum very well as you might not see it all. On my white parket floor is very clear and never an exeption. 

-[inappropriate content removed]

-They will likely bring huge suitcases.

-They will eat noodles 😉 

-They want to see/visit as much as possible (you will need your organisation skills to advise them how to plan their sightseeing)

-They will melt your hart with their kindness and friendly ways.

enjoy 

Given the economics of expensive cities, I've noted they like to cook. Frying food seems a favourite. 

Aleksander8
Level 1
Bergen, Norway

I suggest offering them a cup of tea when they arrive, or possibly just hot water so they can choose their own tea (they will have brought tea as well). Over a cup of tea you can answer their initial questions upon arrival, and possibly figure out what they want from you as a host. 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Hendie0 and everyone, 

If it is possible, also you could read this conversation link, which i hope it could give you more information :  

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Read-this-BEFORE-you-host-Chinese-guests/m-p/699334#M164...

Thanks, 

Miloud

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Christina76, as others have said, providing sandals can be helpful for Asian guests. 

I would also strongly recommend setting out the policies regarding noise levels such as slamming doors, clean-up policies in the kitchen and also set out very clearly that water should not be splashed in the bathroom, as many Asian bathrooms are of the wet variety and splashing water from floor to ceiling is the norm. 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Christina76  I quickly scanned through these comments, and one item came to mind that I don’t think was mentioned.

A rice cooker.

This is one of the suggestions I got from one of my first Asian guests.