How do I defend the host when leader of our trip caused issues (reservation isn't in my name)

Melissa2125
Level 1
Cincinnati, OH

How do I defend the host when leader of our trip caused issues (reservation isn't in my name)

New to AirBnB - I recently attended a retreat in Gatlinburg TN.  The AirBnB was registered under the retreat leader's name.  She caused many issues and unreasonable demands on the AirBnB host.  She wanted to stay for free even though she charged each retreat participant $1500 for three days.  (AirBnB reservation was only $1800).  This retreat leader was rude, obnoxious, and unprofessional causing our distress and much distress for the AirBnB host. 

QUESTION:  this retreat leader asked for a full refund AND if she doesn't get it will write a devastating review about the AirBnB host.  However,  all five of us at the retreat felt the AirBnB host went above and beyond accommodating all of the unreasonable demands.  We don't want the AirBnB host to lose her "superior host rating".  The property was outstanding.  The view was breathtaking.  The decorating was beautiful.  The kitchen ware was a vast selection for cooking or baking anything you could want. Beds were comfy.

How do we protect this very kind and professional AirBnB host?  She absolutely didn't deserve the abuse she took from the retreat leader.  And, we now understand that this retreat leader has pulled this in years past to get discounted or free stays. Without revealing names to protect all involved.....how do we also get this retreat leader banned from using AirBnB so future hosts don't get abused?  Finally, thru additional research I have now discovered that this retreat leader uses several different names to pull this off.

Please advise and thank you in advance,

11 Replies 11
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Melissa2125 The best I can come up with is that you go on Airbnb and send an inquiry to the host explaining that you would like to help protect her against this guest. Hopefully she will be able, with your support, to have any bad review removed as a retaliatory review.

Perhaps also invite the host to join in this thread on the Community centre

I just now sent a copy of my above post to our AirBnB host.  Thank you for responding so quickly.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Melissa2125 it is very kind and considerate of you to worry about the host. If you have time, please report the leader to airbnb for having multiple profiles for the purpose of getting discounts.

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Melissa2125 

Totally heartwarming to see a guest such as yourself defending a hard working and professional host😊

You made my day!

All the best

Joëlle

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Melissa2125 its interesting that you say this because its an old scam , wherby the 'organizer ' charges other guests a certain amount and generally has a 'free trip '. This is a private matter , not an Airbnb matter , but take it up with the 'organizer , and for Airbnb hosts it is sometimes necessary to ask for the names of all guests because as in this case , all of the guests are happy but the 'booking guest ' uses their power to give a false review.It has always been a possibility . The teenage daughter fills out the review or who knows who .? There is actually no way for the host to know in a large group ,who filled in a review.If there is a large group it may be worth messaging the guest to 'let us know how your group enjoyed our home.?'... this may account for a percentage of skew whiff reviews... H

@Helen744 ** incorrect answer. It IS an AirBnB matter. This guest is trying to do the right thing, and your answer is confusing **. **

**[Content removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines- Please be respectful in your discussions with other members]

@Kia272 It is simple Kia, only one guest fills in the review even if ten stay, in every Airbnb everywhere. If after the stay another guest disagrees with the review then it is not possible for them to intervene or for Airbnb to intervene . Kia if there is a way then possibly you could explain how Kia I am sure we would all like to hear about that ... H

also Kia part of the answer referred to Only the arrangements between the guests money wise , which is 'not our business'. .. H

@Kia272 Often Kia there is more than one answer to a question and possibly as an experienced host you could do the courtesy to actually post an answer that you think is 'correct',.. H

Hi,

Hope so you're doing well,  I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you and the other retreat participants faced with the retreat leader. To protect the Airbnb host and prevent future abuse by the retreat leader, there are a few steps you can take:

1. Leave an honest review: After your stay, make sure to leave a detailed and honest review about your positive experience with the Airbnb host. Highlight the host's professionalism, kindness, and their efforts to accommodate the unreasonable demands. This will counterbalance any potential negative review from the retreat leader.

2. Communicate with Airbnb: Contact Airbnb's customer support and explain the situation, providing any evidence or documentation you have regarding the retreat leader's behavior. Share your concerns about the retreat leader's history of abusing hosts and using multiple names. Airbnb takes such incidents seriously and may take appropriate actions, including potentially banning the retreat leader from the platform.

3. Support other hosts: If you come across any other listings where the retreat leader is involved, reach out to the hosts and inform them about your experience. Warn them about the retreat leader's past behavior and share your positive experience with the host you stayed with. This can help other hosts make informed decisions and protect themselves from potential abuse.

4. Share feedback with the retreat organizer: If there was an organizer or coordinator for the retreat, inform them about the issues you faced with the retreat leader. Provide your feedback and concerns, expressing your disappointment with the leader's behavior. This may prompt them to reconsider their association with the retreat leader in the future.

By taking these steps, you can help protect the Airbnb host from unfair consequences and potentially contribute to preventing future hosts from experiencing similar abuse.

Hope so this will work for you!

Regards,

Bryce June

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @BBCor0 

As the guest pointed out. She can't leave a review as she is not the person who booked