How do guests get away with using an initial rather than a name and be verified?

Kim3413
Level 2
United States

How do guests get away with using an initial rather than a name and be verified?

I had a guest inquire and their name said "V".  When I told them they needed to get verified before I would discuss booking information, their name changed to "E".    How is this allowed on Airbnb with/without verification?  I feel like if you can't put your first name or introduce yourself when you want to stay at someone's house, that is a huge red flag.  Any comments?

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kim3413 from what I understand a guest can verify their identity but then change their name to Micky Mouse if they wish. Airbnb knows who they are but you don't. If true this isn't very secure at all.

Karen277
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

I would treat it as a red flag. Also, I had a reservation request from a guest with no reviews, and I couldn't see where they were from. I asked support if they are no longer showing where guests are from and was told that it is private information and I would need to ask the guest myself. Did something change or has it always been this way? I think that information should be automatic! Mostly because I'm extra cautious with people from my own city.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Maybe is just me, but anyone insisting on calling themselves 'V' or 'E' i wouldn't be interested in hosting in the first place.

Maybe they are indeed 'verified', as in certifiably odd.