How do you ensure guests feel welcome and promote inclusivity?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you ensure guests feel welcome and promote inclusivity?

Superhost, JulietteSuperhost, Juliette

Hello everyone,

We know many hosts go to incredible lengths to ensure you foster inclusivity in your home and that every guest feels accepted and welcome. Often this starts from the moment your guest reads your listing description, right through to when they checkout. Juliette, a Superhost in Kenya, has shared some of her own tips and experiences in this recent Resource Center article.*

What do you do to ensure people from across the world feel welcome and promote inclusivity? Perhaps you make sure you communicate with your guests regularly before and during their stay or spend a lot of time on your listing description to ensure that your guests know clearly what to expect when they arrive.

Looking forward to hearing your personal tips and experiences. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

*Link added March 8th

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

55 Replies 55
Adele46
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

We are in Georgia and have a Black Lives Matter sign and a number of books promoting social justice / promoting perspective in our units. Our listings are Eco FairTrade, by design, so we’re not shy about promoting nurturance culture. We have had more than one Trans person who was a guest, as well as Black, Asian, Gay and Lesbian guests thank us for creating a clearly safe space.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Stephanie  I love our community of hosts who are so smart and committed - everyone here has inclusivity in their DNA.

I want everyone to feel welcome, too, and recently added a sign to my photo gallery that says "All Are Welcome Here."  I figured some people might need to be told straight up.

We live in a literal age so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em - sometimes!

Susan145
Level 2
Wasilla, AK

I’ve never felt like excluding any of my guests from my attention and affections. I love everyone who walks through the door! Even if they do something nasty, I can’t help myself- I think I am just a born hostess. If I see a need, I try to meet it. There has been so much talk about the topic, NOW I am starting to notice skin color and sometimes feel awkward or am concerned they THINK I am prejudice. So sad. This awareness has backfired in my case. Thank goodness it only happens occasionally, after I here some news. Now I just don’t listen to or watch it. I know my heart. I embrace everyone. 

@Susan145 You are not alone. 

@Susan145  Raising awareness and consciousness leads to moments of discomfort for everyone!  It’s a big part of social change.  In the meantime, if people can’t see that your heart is pure, that’s on them, isn’t it?  🙂

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

all are welcome 2.jpgI recently made this picture to add to my listings. I've added it to my own and have asked the clients whose homes I host whether they are okay with me adding it to theirs as well. I make sure it shows up in the first few photos. I hope it helps people feel they belong. I was inspired by another host. I'm sorry I don't remember her name, but we connected in December during the celebration of hosting.

@Heather133  Lovely logo, I can't believe you made it yourself!  I got mine from https://allarewelcomehere.us/collections/prints, who started just after Trump was elected president.  

@Ann72 Well THAT would have saved me some time! 😉 Those are great!

Thanks for link. I love these signs.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Heather133 

Absolutely wonderful and inspiring. Thank you for doing this thank you for sharing and thank you for your part in shaping the world to be a better place. I love you. Yes all will soon be welcome everywhere xxxxx

Jue0
Host Advisory Board Member
Nairobi, Kenya

@Stephanie Thank you! I'm humbled and honoured to be featured and be the 'face' of this Topic. I'm Jue (Juliette) from Nairobi Kenya, and delighted to share this link as my contribution to Inclusivity and the theme for the month to challenge self..Thank you Kemi and the Airbnb Host Education Team that put this together. Hope my journey helps someone..

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/how-one-kenyan-superhost-promotes-inclusivity-while...

JMM

Salut @Jue0 ,

Very impressive 👏👏👏

I Salute you , you should be proud of yourself and love your hosting style.

You’re truly excellent and motivating others. Well done! 

Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

@Dale711 Thank You. Merci Beaucoup! Playing our part. Jue

JMM
Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

Thank you Dale😆 and Dan 😆

JMM

@Jue0  I wondered if that was a real Airbnb host in the photograph so it's great to meet you!  Wonderful story.  Thank you for posting!