How much Toilet Paper?

Answered!
John5816
Level 1
Virginia Beach, VA

How much Toilet Paper?

Hosting - Our first guests arrive tomorrow for 11 nights.  Do I run over there and add more TP?

How much is enough?  We have two bathrooms.  For each, 1 roll on dispenser and 3 new rolls in cabinet.  

There are 4 adults staying for 11 days?  And what about kitchen paper towels?  We left one roll.

Thanks,

John and Sandra in Virginia, US

1 Best Answer

@John5816 Your listing is advertised as a residential home, rather than a serviced apartment or hotel. So while you can run over during the stay to replenish whatever the guests run out of after a week or so, this is not necessarily what people are hoping for when they book a house for a long-ish stay. 

An alternative approach is to welcome guests with a friendly message explaining that you've provided "starter pack" with all their essentials (paper goods, cleaning supplies, toiletries) while they're getting settled in, and directing them to the nearest place they can replenish their supplies if needed. The longer the stay is, the more useful this option becomes.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Atilla7
Level 2
Whistler, Canada

That’s not enough for 4 adults for 11 days. I would add a pack of 12 for each bathroom and at least 3 more paper towel rolls. (Or at least easy access to). And just maintain that level, they shouldn’t run out and just restock those levels.

Just my thoughts.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@John5816  I would say that is enough TP, but I would leave at least 2-3 more rolls of paper towels.  I don't agree @Atilla7  24 rolls of TP is excessive, that is about 1/2 roll per person per day, and that much might end up disappearing. 

Okay, it’s not for the guests it’s for him. They are obviously not going to use it all, but he’ll never have to worry about forgetting to bring some etc… it’s just a very few dollars to make sure it’s never going to be an issue.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I found this handy chart online @John5816 

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 8.57.48 PM.png

The article went into greater detail with more calculations, so if you're interested, here's the link:  https://www.rentalrecon.com/host-advice-and-ideas/toilet-paper-etiquette/

@Ann72  @Atilla7  Half a roll a day per person? What on earth do people do with that much toilet paper? 

I'm not stingy with it and tell my guests to let me know if they need more, but I've never had anyone go through more than a roll in about 5 days to a week.

@Atilla7  No, it isn't advisable to have a lot of toilet paper or anything else, beyond a reasonable amount for a stay, accessible to guests. 

People walk off with things. Like an entire 12 pack of tp.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 @Ann72 @Mark116 et al.

I have hosted plenty of guests who go through half a roll of toilet paper each a day. It doesn't seem to be uncommon at all, although I also wouldn't say it's the norm. 

I suspect they are using it for other purposes though, like blowing their nose or whatever, and some rolls from the bathrooms to keep in their rooms. When I was cleaning a room the other day after a guest departure and emptying the waste paper bin in her room, I realised the entire thing was full of just tissue. Weird, as she didn't have a cold while she was here.

Because I am a live in host, it's easy for me to top up toilet paper as needed. I wondered if leaving more rolls in the bathroom encouraged guests to use more of it, e.g. gave them the impression that no matter how much they used there was no risk of it running out. So, I started leaving one roll + one spare in the bathroom and just replacing when necessary. I can't say that it's made much of a difference. People just seem to use a lot of toilet paper.

I have 3 guest staying for 4 days and they already blew through 2 rolls after 1 night!

@Ann72  That chart seems excessive to me, the rate of usage I see is nothing close to that, other than a few outliers.  It is rare that 4 people staying 3 nights will even finish a single roll, though I always leave extra.

I didn't read that quite as literally @Mark116 @Sarah977.  The author was suggesting one plan to leave that amount, not that the entire amount will be used.

If you go on with the calculations you will see that the number of rolls does not increase exponentially with the number of guests.

@John5816 

You could say that you feel you've provided enough to cover basic needs, and anything more they have to buy their own. Or you could tell the guests that you plan to do a mid-stay visit to replenish TP (and other amenities) and maybe also pick up dirty laundry (towels? so you don't end up with 40 dirty towels at once) on day 5 or 6 of their stay (exact time and date to be agreed with guests in advance) and use it as an opportunity to make sure your house rules are being respected. 

FYI, when I'm home 24/7 I find myself going thru 1 roll in about 4 days. If I'm out more, then the roll lasts longer. I have a single occupancy private guest room and the heaviest user went thru about 3 rolls per week. Majority of my guests needed less than or just about 2 rolls per week. 

@John5816 Your listing is advertised as a residential home, rather than a serviced apartment or hotel. So while you can run over during the stay to replenish whatever the guests run out of after a week or so, this is not necessarily what people are hoping for when they book a house for a long-ish stay. 

An alternative approach is to welcome guests with a friendly message explaining that you've provided "starter pack" with all their essentials (paper goods, cleaning supplies, toiletries) while they're getting settled in, and directing them to the nearest place they can replenish their supplies if needed. The longer the stay is, the more useful this option becomes.

Elspeth13
Level 2
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

I give a substantial discount for longer stays so I just leave two rolls per toilet for any stay. If they need more it’s up to them to buy it. Same goes for tea, coffee, sugar, kitchen roll, olive oil and spices.

Rhonda74
Level 3
West Lafayette, IN

Our Airbnb has 2 bathrooms. There is always one roll on the dispenser, one on the back of the toilet and 5 or 6 extra rolls in each of the bathroom cabinets. I always leave at least 4 or 5 rolls of paper towels. Doesn’t matter how many guests and the usual stay is 2-3 nights.  I’ve never been suspicious that there has been any taken. I don’t want my guests to have to go to the store to buy essential items like toilet paper. 
yeah, might be a little worked up on this one cause my husband and I are going to a condo in a couple weeks for 7 days. Just got a notice that there will be 1 roll of toilet paper in each bathroom, 1 roll of paper towels and just the trash bags that are in the canisters. Glad we rented a car so we can go to the grocery…. I guess at least I’m informed..

Oops, didn't change to most recent.