How to connect with claims department?

Answered!

How to connect with claims department?

I am a guest and my car was broken into and robbed while parked on Airbnb property. I am a guest. I was not made aware that the Airbnb was in a bad part of town and car break-ins were frequent. the property backed up to an alley and there is no fence to block access. There are no security cameras, no lights, no signs, nor anything to deter criminals nor help detect theft. Near every neighbor on the street has these things, hence why their cars weren’t broken into that night. 

airbnb has been so unhelpful. I get emails from the claims department where they ask for responses, but no return email address. Does anyone know how to actually correspond with the claims department? Or if not that, how to actually make any progress on a case like this? The host isn’t willing to admit negligence, and therefore will not pay out anything. I can’t communicate with claims so I can’t know what they’ll do.

Please let me know, I’ve been fighting this for weeks now. Thanks community

1 Best Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Evan823 Evans the host in this case can call the police for you so that you can make a police report. My home insurance covers some things kept in a car . My car insurance covers damage to the car. This is an interesting problem because although some rental ,long term ,covers thefts from the house and probably cars on the property STR insurance actually does not as far as I am aware.Its worth asking Airbnb again and showing the police report but the host is not directly responsible for this bad outcome. Burglars are masters of opportunity and I do not think that the host is consciously putting guests cars in danger of a burglary or have had a 'string of burglaries' but the police will advise you as to that possible option. No one likes to be burgled .Sorry to hear about it but all your host will offer is probably sympathy ,but leave a review that indicates the area is 'unsafe ' if you think thats the truth.Ask the host to check their STR insurance, bearing in mind that they may not necessarily have any... H

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Evan823 Do the Aircover terms cover cars left on the property? Surely you just claim on your car insurance? Also leaving anything valuable in a car in any neighbourhood is a really bad idea.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Airbnb actually owns this property? And the host played what part in this whole affair, besides being am innocent bystander? What did other guests had to say about this stellar listing and the host?

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Evan823 Evans the host in this case can call the police for you so that you can make a police report. My home insurance covers some things kept in a car . My car insurance covers damage to the car. This is an interesting problem because although some rental ,long term ,covers thefts from the house and probably cars on the property STR insurance actually does not as far as I am aware.Its worth asking Airbnb again and showing the police report but the host is not directly responsible for this bad outcome. Burglars are masters of opportunity and I do not think that the host is consciously putting guests cars in danger of a burglary or have had a 'string of burglaries' but the police will advise you as to that possible option. No one likes to be burgled .Sorry to hear about it but all your host will offer is probably sympathy ,but leave a review that indicates the area is 'unsafe ' if you think thats the truth.Ask the host to check their STR insurance, bearing in mind that they may not necessarily have any... H

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Evan823  I think it's unrealistic to expect AirBnB to do anything about this. You need to make a claim through your auto or homeowners insurance. This simply doesn't fall under the responsibility of the host or AirBnB. 

The host should have been honest about the area and the crime rate, but he or she had no knowledge that somebody would break into your car. 

Stop getting frustrated by AirBnB and move on to a more realistic chance of getting paid for your loss, although with a deductible and everything, it would  have to be some expensive stuff to make filing a claim worthwhile.