How to handle personal items left behind

Answered!
Cheryl413
Level 2
Hendersonville, TN

How to handle personal items left behind

Occasionally I have small items left behind I guests. So far they have been small enough I have just thrown them away. This time it was a pair of swim trunks so I decided to contact the guest. He said that he had just bought them at the beach and asked if I could mail them and he would pay for shipping. I really wished he had told me to throw them away because that is more trouble than I really want to go through. Running errands for a guest is not something that I consider part of my job . Also, they were very inconsiderate guests. They left the lights and AC on, didn't turn on the security system when the departed, left a disgusting mess in the bathroom, etc.... so they've already cost me more money and trouble and they only stayed for 3 days.

Is returning personal items my responsibility? If so, what is the best way to facilitate sending them easily? I don't want to mail it until I have the money because they may never really reimburse me. But I don't know how to know how much it's going to cost unless I go to the Post Office. Its hard enough to find the time to make a trip to the post office the first time but this way it would require two trips.

I stay very busy so running errands for a guest is not something that I consider part of my job . Also, they were a very bad guest. They left the lights and AC on, left a disgusting mess in the bathroom, etc.... so they've already cost me more time and trouble and they only stayed for 3 days

is there a more simplified way to handle this? I know a business can send a prepaid shipping label but I don't know how an individual to do that. Is there? My sister suggested asking him to send me a stamped, self addressed envelope.

One other unique thing about this situation is that they were in town to visit with family. I did send him a message and ask was there any way that he could have his family drop by and pick them up and they could send them to him. Then the responsibility would be on his family rather than me. Is that a fair enough thing to ask? Thoughts? 

1 Best Answer
Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Cheryl413 Once you contacted and asked him what to do with it, you need to follow through. I'm with Mike and Jane, the only time I said something was a child's toy. Otherwise, I throw them out. I did hang onto a college jersey for a while thinking they might contact me, but they didn't So into the recycling bin it went. 

One option is this, you can actually figure out how much it is without going to the post office. Just go to USPS website, there is an option to estimate postage. A medium Priority Box would do it. That's about $17 to most states in continental USA. 

I probably would have replied with something like this, I am very happy to mail these to you. The cost to mail them is $17 and I have to charge you for my time. I can send you a request via the resolution center. As soon as we receive the funds, I'll put in the mail. 

That's is of course if they already left you a review. I bet the $17 + handling will make them realize buying one is much cheaper and tell you to forge it 🙂 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cheryl413 Unless it is a children's toy/comforter we just remain silent on items left behind but we do store them (OK we throw them in a locked cupboard). On the two occasions we have been asked to post something we just swallow the small cost as its easier than trying to charge people.

Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Cheryl413 Once you contacted and asked him what to do with it, you need to follow through. I'm with Mike and Jane, the only time I said something was a child's toy. Otherwise, I throw them out. I did hang onto a college jersey for a while thinking they might contact me, but they didn't So into the recycling bin it went. 

One option is this, you can actually figure out how much it is without going to the post office. Just go to USPS website, there is an option to estimate postage. A medium Priority Box would do it. That's about $17 to most states in continental USA. 

I probably would have replied with something like this, I am very happy to mail these to you. The cost to mail them is $17 and I have to charge you for my time. I can send you a request via the resolution center. As soon as we receive the funds, I'll put in the mail. 

That's is of course if they already left you a review. I bet the $17 + handling will make them realize buying one is much cheaper and tell you to forge it 🙂 

Yes, I realize now it was a mistake to even ask them. It's just that someone's swim trunks is sort of disgusting like underwear. I wanted to just throw them away immediately but was afraid to in case they would ask later. In the future, I will probably just hold stuff for a short period of time and hope they don't ask. My husband mentioned a flat rate box from the post office. I did not know about the resolution center. I can check that out. I don't mind going above and beyond for guests as a PR measure but these people left the house in poor shape, including a very disgusting mess in the toilet!