How to reply to a review?

Answered!
Lynn249
Level 1
Livingston, United Kingdom

How to reply to a review?

Hi. 

How can I reply to a guests review. I get a red box on my app that says reply but this takes me to my profile.

Thanking you in advance

Lynn 

1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Mary996,

You should have more than 14 days to comment on a review. The 14 day limit is for leaving a review.

Today's the 20th of September and I still have the option to leave a comment on a guest's review when she stayed on the 20th of August.

Click on your profile photo and select "Profile". Then click on "Edit profile" to the right of your photo. Then click on "Reviews" and find the review you wish to comment on. It will have a "Leave public response" link if it's still possible to leave a response.

If not, and the customer services rep can't do it, then you may just have to call a few times and find one who knows how to do it. I'm not sure if there's a hard time limit like there is for reviews.

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Lynn249,

You don't say which version of the app you use, the Android or iOs one.

On the Android version do the following.

When in hosting mode tap on "Progress" at the bottom of the screen.

Then tap where it shows your overall rating.

Scroll down to the "Guest reviews" section and tap the "Respond" button for the review in question. If the allowed time period for a response has elapsed the button won't appear.

Your response will appear under their review only on your profile and listing pages.

The iOS version of the app probably has a similar process but I don't have an Apple device so can't say for sure.

On a computer do the following.

Log in and click on your profile photo and select "Edit profile". Then select "Reviews" on the left.

Scroll down to the review in question and click its "Leave Public Response" link.

Your response will appear under their review only on your profile and listing pages.

Steve.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Very helpful Steve. This is what I was wanting to find out.

But 14 days have passed on this occasion. HOWEVER previously, via the help section, an airbnb operative opened the response option for me so I could reply to a lovely review that needed translating. I am wanting to do this again to an old review which also needs translating, and now that I understand it, I would like to express my appreciation.

Am I somehow mistaken as the operative insists that this isn't possible. Or is it rather that she doesn't know how I wonder? Her attitude has been almost rude and her english rather poor, but way better than my limited foreign language skills.

Do you have any idea about this perhaps?

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Mary996,

You should have more than 14 days to comment on a review. The 14 day limit is for leaving a review.

Today's the 20th of September and I still have the option to leave a comment on a guest's review when she stayed on the 20th of August.

Click on your profile photo and select "Profile". Then click on "Edit profile" to the right of your photo. Then click on "Reviews" and find the review you wish to comment on. It will have a "Leave public response" link if it's still possible to leave a response.

If not, and the customer services rep can't do it, then you may just have to call a few times and find one who knows how to do it. I'm not sure if there's a hard time limit like there is for reviews.

Steve.

@Mary996  You have 14 days from the day the review is actually posted publicly  to respond to it. After that you can no longer respond. 

Hello @Letti0,

That's not the case. The limit for leaving a response to review is a month.

As I said in the reply to Mary I had the opportunity to leave a response to a review written by a guest who stayed on the 20th of August when it was then the 22nd of September.

It's now past midnight so it's the 23rdd of September for me, so a new day since I wrote that reply. I now have the opportunity to leave a review only as far back as the 21st of August. I've just successfully done that for a guest who stayed on the night of the 21st of August even though it's a month, not just 14 days, since she stayed.

Steve.

@Steve143  I did not say 14 days from when she stayed. It's suppose to be 14 days from when the review posted publicly that you can respond. So if she reviewed you and it posted on the September 5th. You should have until September 19th to respond. You should only be able to respond for a maximum of 28 days after check out at most. lt looks like they gave you 29 or 30 days instead. Mine have all been 14 days after review is posted. 

I had a guest stay until September 3rd, she reviewed me on September 4th. I can no longer respond to her her review as of September 19th. I just double checked. So my window is 14 days after review is made public and I happen to be looking at that reservation both on the 18th and the 19th to see when the phone numbers actually disappeared, they also disappear 14 days after review unless their is a claim out into the Resolution Center then they remain until the case is closed. 

Hello @Letti0,

Apologies. Yes, you did say 14 days from when the review posted publically.

I'll stop replying to emails late at night and start reading them carefully first 🙂

Comparing our experiences there seems to be some, possibly geographic, variation in how long the window for commenting on reviews is open. I hope it's not still the case that I'm missing something.

A guest stayed for one night, the 21st of August.

I reviewed her on the 22nd of August.

She reviewed me on the 27th of August so both reviews became public on that date.

I commented on her review on the 23rd of September.

Yes, her phone number and Airbnb email contact address disappeared in the time you say but I was still allowed to comment on her review more than 30 days after she checked out and more than 25 days after she left her review.

At the moment the review from a guest who stayed on the 26th of August, and whose review became visible to me on the 30th of August when I had reviewed him on the 27th of August, still has the "Leave public response" link. It's visible when I click on my profile photo then "Profile", then "Edit profile" and then "Reviews".

Yes, of course his phone number and email address are now no longer displayed.

Steve.

@Steve143  On my computer the 14 days is correct. I was looking on my phone for a comment made from this guests review to do a screenshot and low and behold the respond to this guest is still there on the phone app, but it is definitely gone on the computer. I am going to check it daily to see when it finally stops on the phone app too. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Fantastic Letty. What have you observed ? It does seem that we're given a month or so to respond publically.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thanks Steve. Thats exactly what I was thinking! Find someone who knows. Then try to get back to the one who didn't ......? But they close the thread so no feedback possible.... At the moment!!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Steve .... May I have your consent to copy and paste this very helpful response to the operative who is still live with me? It might just motivate her to try to improve in her job, to take her work more seriously, to be more respectful, and to gain information and knowledge about her expected role!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello @Mary996,

It's probably too late by now but yes, by all means, copy and paste.

Steve.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Ste0ve

My other problem is that I'm a co-host and reviews are for the proprietor, who is my daughter and who is away currently. She contacted bnb to ask them to share all with me and it was working then someone who didn't get it pulled the arrangement.

Hello @Mary996,

I'm not sure what you mean by "share all with me".

A co-host can communicate with with the prospective and booked guests and if the co-host is the primary host then guests will see his or her profile on the listing and expect to engage with that person for arrival arrangements and problems.

Co-hosts can review the guests but reviews left by guests will appear on the listing admin's profile and not on the co-host's profile. The listing admin is the person on whose Aribnb profile the listing is published.

Steve.