I Got This Message From Potential Booking Inquiry Potential Scam?

Answered!
Walter587
Level 1
Apple Valley, UT

I Got This Message From Potential Booking Inquiry Potential Scam?

The message content is in quotes.

"My fiancé is here for business. We love your place and will soon be joining him with our daughter and family, but we have a few questions."

:Is there laundry in the home? On the pictures, I can't see it."

"Are roads OK to travel in night?"

"Please provide me your phone number in the following format: $$404$$865$$1471, and I'll call you to talk."

I suspect this is a scam, but I am not sure.  Asking for a phone number in an unusual format is weird.  Can anyone comment?

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Samantha1148
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

I received this exact same inquiry on VRBO yesterday, suspected it was a scam. Thanks all for confirming. I will report to VRBO.

View Best Answer in original post

47 Replies 47
Bella783
Level 2
Alma, CO

Same here property In SD and CO

 8/15/2023 Tuesday 11AM

allan.png

John7444
Level 1
Pompano Beach, FL

Same number, different message with hidden phone. 

Stephanie2978
Level 2
Cambria, CA

I got this message on VRBO today, same number, same $ format from an inquiry/person going by the name of Vernon Albee.

I almost texted.  But didn't recognize the 404 area code so I looked it up on Google.  Found this thread!

Here's the message I got:

"Hi there, we are interested in your place, also was wondering how far the amenities were from the place, (text me)-$four-$zero($four-$eight)-$six($five-$one )$four $-seven-one"

Michel8537
Level 1
Cancún, Mexico

Hello there, I received a similar message here in Valle de Bravo, Mexico!

Janine485
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Thank you for making this post. Almost a year later and the scammer is using the same message.  Posting the updated message for anyone's reference.

I think it looks excellent, barring the service fees. However, I wanted to talk to you first about the service fees (which are absurdly costly). Calling the host provides a personal touch, in my opinion, and most visitors value speaking with the owner. A VRBO booking will be made by me. Sending me your numbr should be done as follows: $$404$$ $$865$$ $$1471$$ is my numbr) If you don't want to give me your numbr, call if I don't answer, leave a message; and I'll call you back.

This is the exact message I received. Thank you!

Just received same inquiry with same number on VRBO... beware.

Christine4157
Level 2
Garden Grove, CA

Glad this showed up when I googled the phone number… received similar messages:

“I have some inquiries and am thinking about going on vacation here. Is there a chance we might discuss them? Please give me a call at this numbr-$four-$zero($four-$eight)-$six($five-$one)$four$-seven-($one”

And another follow up listed a different number: 

I think it looks excellent, barring the service “fees. However, I wanted to talk to you first about the service fees (which are absurdly costly). Calling the host provides a personal touch, in my opinion, and most visitors value speaking with the owner. A VRBO booking will be made by me.
Sending me your numbr should be done as follows:
$$724$$
$$635$$
$$5576$$
is my numbr)
If you don't want to give me your numbr, call if I don't answer, leave a message; and I'll call you back.”

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Common scam @Christine4157 

this exact message showed up in my inbox 2 hours ago...

Hello Christine, I had exactly the same 'enquiry' today! Glad I googled the number! Phew!

Ryan3599
Level 1
Wells, ME

Also got this message on VRBO:

Hi, could you please get back to us? Please get in touch with us as we are interested in your house and would like to know how far the facilities were from the location.-(four$)-*zero$-four$-eight$*(six$_5)*one$*$four-$seven_*one).

Thanks confirming it is a scam.

Just recently got this from the same number.  Says they joined VRBO in 2024.  Given most of these encounters happened in 2023, I assume they got kicked off and then set up a new account.  Wish VRBO and AirBnB could do a better job at keeping scammers off the platform.

Eleanor218
Level 1
Huletts Landing, NY

It's a scam. Beware out there! If it seem suspicious, it is.

I just received the same inquiry requesting a call with that phone number. Sounds like a scam. They provide no information about the purpose of their visit and the size of the party which is requested on the listing. I requested this and got more questions. I am reporting the user after reading all of these comments from last year. Thank you all.