I'm concerned that my Airbnb host may be fake, what's the best way to verify if they're real?

Adam1947
Level 1
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

I'm concerned that my Airbnb host may be fake, what's the best way to verify if they're real?

I'm taking my mother to New York for her 70th birthday and wanted to get us somewhere really special to stay. I found a penthouse in Manhattan and booked it, but upon further inspection (which I really should have done at the time) I can see the host has multiple listings in the city, none of which have been reviewed, and the address they're displayed is way out in New Jersey.

They've also contacted me on WhatsApp to thank me for booking, which is what raised my suspicions initially. What are my best steps for verifying the booking? And what should I do if I'm unable

Thanks

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the booking is not in the location advertised when you booked you can ask Airbnb to cancel penalty free @Adam1947 

Take a screen shot showing listing advertised in Manhattan but host has now confirmed a New Jersey address.

it's very hard for any host to get a license to offer a whole listing in New York City for short term rentals so a hotel may be a better option for you. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Aren't "Airbnb Penthouses" illegal in Manhattan? Likely, the host is using a New Jersey Address to skirt around this legality. I would definitely not trust this listing. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

A classic Red Flag offering: the place is not where they claim is, they used WhatsApp to thank you, and they have no reviews in all their listings. Was this place offered at a smashing low price?

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi @Adam1947!

It looks like a few of our Community's experienced Hosts dropped by with some suggestions. I'm curious what you decided in the end?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines