I recently had a problem with my airbnb account.

Answered!
Gyo-Sang0
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

I recently had a problem with my airbnb account.

Hello, my name is GYO SANG (BLAKE) and I live in New Zealand.

I've been having some strange experiences lately and wanted to share them with you.

It's only been a few days.

Firstly, I think my account was hacked.
On the 31st of December at 12:27am, I received an email saying that a listing I hadn't booked was booked, and a minute later at 12:28am, another listing was booked.

Eight minutes later, at 12:36 AM, I received an email saying that my account had been cancelled. I was very confused and immediately went to the AIRBNB website to find that my account had disappeared.

So I contacted the helpdesk, spoke to 2 agents, informed them of the problem with my account, and waited for a while to hear back.

And I confirmed today that my account is back.

As I'm writing this, I can tell that airbnb has done a lot of work, and that they genuinely care about my situation and want to help me. (Unlike other sites.)

In fact, many of the sites that I have accounts on, as well as AIRBNB, are still dealing with hacking attempts and evidence of hacking, and are in the process of cleaning up.

However, I was surprised to see how quickly and accurately AIRBNB handled the situation, and I believe the hacker even used my username and password, acting as me and causing unreasonable bookings and damage to hosts.

It's just one of many linked accounts, but I'm now updating my accounts almost daily, setting passwords, and monitoring for any emails that might indicate access that isn't mine. It's the kind of thing that makes people bleed. It clutters the mind and heart and makes it difficult to live a normal life.

Thank you so much for giving me a ray of hope in these days.
I just wanted to say that, and that's why I posted this out of the blue to the community.

I hope that if there are some people who have encountered something similar to me, please talk to the help desk and ask for help. And I hope you keep your passwords and accounts that you log into updated and don't let yourself be exposed.

I'm sorry to greet you with a post that is both good news and a cautionary tale on the first day of 2024. We wish you all a very happy 2024. Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Gyo-Sang0, and welcome to the Airbnb Community Center.

I am so sorry for the situation you faced with your account; however, I am glad to hear that it got resolved once you contacted the support team. This information will be very helpful for guests facing similar situations.

All the best,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Gyo-Sang0, and welcome to the Airbnb Community Center.

I am so sorry for the situation you faced with your account; however, I am glad to hear that it got resolved once you contacted the support team. This information will be very helpful for guests facing similar situations.

All the best,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad