I set house rules as not suitable for children but somebody just booked with a two year old child.

Answered!
John400
Level 1
Shenyang, China

I set house rules as not suitable for children but somebody just booked with a two year old child.

I have just started hosting and am expecting my first guest on Monday but someone else just auto-booked the double room for December with their wife and 2 year old child.  

I'm not really sure whether the apartment is suitable for young children but I would prefer to avoid accepting children, at least for a while until I get used to hosting.  

Is it not against the rules for them to book with a child when I have stated no children in the house rules section?  If I cancel will it negatively effect me in some way?

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice.

1 Best Answer
Kelly65
Level 6
Brisbane, Australia

If you have household rules that state you do not accommodate children, then the booking is invalid. Contact Airbnb and request them to cancel the reservation and it would be done with no penalty to you. Word of caution.... any guest who would agree to rules they've clearly either not read or don't respect, is not a guest you want in your home. If you are not already aware, any setting you have that limits guests to those over 12yrs is ignored by Airbnb, who will show your property to potential guests in search results, when they are searching for properties that accommodate children. Further... Airbnb have now removed this setting with no notification whatsoever to hosts... no consultation or written advice. As far as I am concerned this is unethical, dishonest and disrespectful. The only way you can get around this disregard for your rules and expectations is to turn of instant book and require potential guests to advise the purpose of their stay, number of guests and ages. No doubt Airbnb will find that discriminatory in some manner, but at the end of the day, it is your property, NOT Airbnb's.

View Best Answer in original post

47 Replies 47

I’ve never had that happen as I’m always there to greet guests but I think being very specific in the ad will help. With 1000 hits on my ad I’ve had 15 people in the 2 months I’ve rented.  Maybe a little more.  Which is what I want.  I rent 2-3 days a week. Max 2 night. To date. All great guests. 

Gaston11
Level 4
Kissimmee, FL

Give people with kids a break. We escaped from a hurricane in Florida and can't find a place to stay because every single listing says, "not safe or suitable for children." If it's really not safe, like there is a 20+ foot dropoff, that's understandable. But if it just inconveniences you to put a vase away, then it's unjust discrimination.

@Gaston11 My place can accomodate 6 and If you ask me, 2 parents with 4 kids are way less impact on my place than 6 adults.

Disagree, I had 4 parents 4 kids and had food and crayon everywhere. Had to have windows cleaned and even re-painted couple walls! 

The cleaning fee is $200 and the company

I used was there for 2.5 days ... $650

@Gaston11 - seriously? My listing is an older house, and I don't want to be responsible for the safety of your child. I also have a large dog who is fine with adults, but has not been around small children. So I don't want to risk having children around for the safety of both the dog and the child. 

Kids bring more damage than anything else! We were lied to recently, and the resulting mess was far beyond anything I ever, ever want to see again. Nine adults is far better wear and tear on our place than two adults and six kids (which is what happened). We had mud on our walls, spaghetti on the walls (not just over the stove), rocks were all over our newly refinished floors and had been stepped/skidded on, one kid was clearly sick and had vomited in two bedrooms, stained one mattress beyond help, and several sets of sheets simply would not come clean. I'm *this close* to never allowing children.

Many do not want kids and use that description to keep renters away.  

Take responsibility for the fact that you have kids and deal with those limitations instead of dumping that stress on people with private property who have every right to decide who to invite in for whatever private reasons.  Your kids your problem

Some places really are not safe, but I get your point. If I had a house or apartment then kids are fine. Docks and wilderness areas with wild animals are not safe.

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

I have my place not suitable for children because I have a pond on the property very close to the house AND because I have a dog yard right outside and I'm always afraid a child will leave the dog gates open (why not, the parents do it!).  I know from experience that many parents don't really pay attention to what their kids are doing and it wouldn't take much for one to get into a place they shouldn't be.  I am now putting up a fence around the pond but I still wouldn't feel comfortable with children around.

I am not sure if this issue pertains to Air BnB rentals, but imagine it should. I own several rental properties (not ABNB) and have written into my rental agreements that tenants will not have above-ground pools, trampolines, and/or open fires. This is because in my neck of the woods children tend to wander through everyone's yards without constraint, and if you happen to have one of these contraptions, they tend to use them without permission. So, G_d forbid if a kid falls into a pool and drowns or breaks a bone on the trampoline, guess who will be sued? NOT the tenant, but YOU the owner!  Remember, most insurance companies require a minimum height fence around a pool's circumference with a locked gate, a safety barrier net around the trampoline, and don't get me started with having a fire pit.

This issue falls under the "Attractive Nuisance Doctrine". (The attractive nuisance doctrine applies to the law of torts in some jurisdictions. It states that a landowner may be held liable for injuries to children trespassing on the land if the injury is caused by an object on the land that is likely to attract children.)

So, if you have any of these items, beware.

Angela1271
Level 1
Terrington St Clement, United Kingdom

Here we are 3 years down the line and the subject still rears it’s ugly head . 

Just had a woman book in as 1 adult.

on her comments she writes me and my daughter .

when she arrived I asked why she thought it was ok to bring her daughter when I said no children, she said the child age is 2-12 she is 13 so she is not a child . 

I said well in that case why didn’t you book her in as a second adult?

she said she thought she had .

I thought in law you were a child until 18 yrs 

That’s happened to me a few times when they book as one...but there will be a “we” leading me to ask if there was someone else.  Now they are caught.   I tell them to change the status on AIRBNB and the extra charge gets taken care off. Also I will get someone will ask if I will be there ....not thst that is a weird question but I can tune into the ones asking who want to sneak someone in. 
also DO NOT USE INSTANT BOOKING!  Thaf is when people will book say...themselves....but someone else will show up.  Why couldn’t they book a room?  Sketchy.  This also entices people to try to pull a fast one.  Two people will rent and have a party etc. I’ve seen it happen.   Look to see who’s renting and see the reason etc etc. feel them out.    You can tell if they are nice people 

I am new to airbnb.  I have stated that my listing is not suitable for children 12 and under due to the fact that I want to create a tranquil space and noise carries easily through my 3 small houses on my property.  Am I allowed to decline based upon having children.  I have someone requesting and am unsure what to do.

I appreciate any input.  Thank you!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just ask Airbnb to cancel the booking @Tanya424