I will no longer post a bad review about a guest

Answered!
Megan160
Level 9
Tucson, AZ

I will no longer post a bad review about a guest

I had an awful guest experience and tried to settle it with the guest personally. She stayed at a reduced rate and then needed to extend her stay. We gave her an even bigger rate discount. When she left, she left the place a mess. Dirty, greasy dishes, pots and pans. All the furniture was in dissaray, both sets of blankets/quilts had spots and stains on them, there were crumbs in all the beds on the mattress pads (which had to be hand picked off), and she ruined a set of sheets.

I took 3 days to cool off before I texted her because we really went out of our way to help this guest and she took advantage of us. I told her I was unhappy about the state of the place and asked her to pay $50 to replace the sheets. Prior to this text, she had nothing but glowing reviews and thanks for me in all her texts. She did not understand why she should have to pay for her sheets because I was a woman and the damaged sheets were a result of a "woman thing" and thus I should understand. I said I shouldn't have to pay for her "woman thing".

After much internal debate, I decided to warn other hosts and gave her an appropriate but still not brutal review, even leaving out the refusal to pay for damages and passing on her lame excuse for the mess. She then gave me a bad review, lying about my place and me. Prior to this review, I had 5 star reviews. Now people think my place is noisy and I am rude. My bookings have almost stoped dead in their tracks after her review. Plus, my 3 month pre-book for Jan-March canceled right after the review. I have contacted Airbnb twice about this to no avail. I had responded to her bad review, but not in much detail because I assumed that if I could prove it was a retaliatory review, it would be removed. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! Not only will they not remove it, they won't even let me expound on my explanation to her bad review.

So frustrated! I am knee deep in the process of spending a lot of money to make my other 2 rentals Airbnb rentals and now I can't even get bookings in prime season. Airbnb penalizes us for trying to warn other hosts about bad guests.

1 Best Answer
John915
Level 3
New York, United States

@Megan160

Unfortunately there is probably nothing you can do about it. Things like this happen to all of us (guests, especially newer ones have wildly different expectations) and I hate the fact that one bad review plants a seed in future guests' minds (for example, I had one who stayed for nearly a month and I left town for nearly a week - I live in the part of the home - I came back and she had left an old pizza box, empty bottles,etc....her review dinged me for cleanliness?!)

Some guests are just horrible and/or petty (and I'm sure a handful of hosts are not so great either) but the best thing to do is learn from it.

I never leave a review for a guest unless I've personally interacted with him/her. I do this because if you are the first to leave a review, your guest sees that you left one and if they felt their stay was unpleasant, they have nothing to lose by leaving you a nasty review. A host may rely on sharing their home to cover a significant portion of housing costs, extra income, etc. but a guest may book an Airbnb once or twice a year. And even if guests get not so great reviews, in many cities there are plenty of hosts who would just be happy for the income.

I've been fortunate to have not yet had many "nightmare" guests but I would learn from this experience - do not be the first to review a guest! If they feel strongly about your space (negative or positive) they will usually leave a review. If I've had a weird situation/neutral, I don't bother. If my interaction was positive, I ask them to send me private feedback as to what I can do better. If someone leaves a review, you can comment on it but if you think someone had a less than stellar experience, you as a host leaving a review only prompts a guest to leave one as well (which may be unfair, misleading, etc.)

Saw your listing and I really don't think your guest's review was that bad. If anything it was probably prompted by your interaction with her following her stay. You have 5 stars and it was overall a positive review! I have no plans to go to Tucson but I'd stay in your place! In the future, I'd just let small inconveniences like that go. Don't be a pushover but understand accidents happen and sometimes minor things occur with otherwise well-meaning guests:

-No smoking but someone opens a window thinking they can get away with it

-Someone breaks a glass

-Uses toilet and "forgets" to flush (nasty but happens)

My advice:

1.) Do not post a review first - Regardless of what you do, you get sometimes get less than 5-stars! If you've had a less than fantastic dialogue with a guest, posting a review prompts them to do the same - in your case, she knew you were upset about the sheets & was probably defensive about being asked to pay $50 for an accident - If she thought you were upset with her as a host, I am not suprised that she didn't give you a fantastic, glowing review in response to the notification that you had left her a review.  

2.) Don't sweat the small stuff

3.) Just buy a $10 set of sheets from Wal-Mart and consider it a "cost of doing business" if they are ruined at some point

View Best Answer in original post

232 Replies 232

How is it helping her to provide a place for her to prostitute? Or was she homeless?

I have to agree with Huma0, it sounds like Airbb reviews are literally the only thing you have to go on to screen guests. I am learning that Airbb  is very misleading, saying   they do background checks, when in fact they probably do not do them at all. Kind of scary actually.

I agree.  Hosts are reluctant to give bad reviews and are very generous with positive reviews.  I would weigh the bad reviews more.  Once they are given they’re certainly fire behind that smoke. 

I recently had a terrible experience with a guest and had to call the police to remove her. I left a short but honest negative review. A few days after leaving the review, I can't see her profile anymore. So, either Airbnb removed her from the system, or more likely they blocked me from seeing her and removed the bad review. 

Air says a negative review average is 1.0 or 1.5. A 3.01 average is as of last week 'good track record'. !! It may be that your idea of negative and Air's idea of negative do not coincide. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Louise1097 

Where did you find this information? Is there an article or link you could direct us to?

The only thing I could see on the site was a that 'good track record' meant that the guest had not violated Airbnb policy/broken house rules 'recently'.

I did.  But it was buried among many positive reviews.  That one review was very detailed and damming.  I ended up not accepting reservation.  Guest complained to Airbnb about discrimination. 

Yup! I had auto book on, a guest with a bad review booked. They had a bad experience, we had an issue with the gas which couldn’t be fixed until the next day (they were only there one night). I tried to smooth it over but they sent me a nasty message and trashed my place. Now I’m trying to figure out if I should leave an honest review or wait it out because I know their review is going to hurt my 5 star rating. 

@Edward366  I've definitely read bad guest reviews. I've never had any guests request to book my place that had bad reviews, but they certainly exist. Problem is, if a guest gets a bunch of bad reviews, they just delete their profile and start a new one, which Airbnb seems to think is perfectly okay.

Bryan150
Level 2
Nashville, TN

I understand that the bad review the guest gave you affected your future bookings, but how did the bad review you gave the guest cause that? The guest can’t see the review you gave her until after she has left you a review or after the deadline for her to leave a review has passed. 

She contacted the guest and told her she was unhappy about the state of the place.  The guest was upset about extra money request and retaliated.  I would have let it go.  $50 worth of sheets is not worse all the lost business for this host. 

Bruno257
Level 4
Boom, Belgium

What if we could post a kind of secret warning for other hosts?
A code or a sentence that is only known here on the forum?
A general warning or a specific?

example review:
It was nice weather. (text not to stand out)
50 (number indicating that something has been stolen)

A number catches the eye of host immediately, because you rarely or never come across that.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@bruno257

There is no need to post a 'secret warning'. The review process is blind, so that neither party can see the other's review until the reviews are published and it's too late. 

@Megan160 's guest did not leave a bad review in retaliation for what she wrote in her review. She retaliated because she was brought up on the damage and asked to pay for it and, no doubt, the guest guessed an unfavourable review was to follow.

So, there is no point in being secretive in the review. The guest is not going to see it before they leave theirs, or until 14 days has passed since check out if they choose not to leave a review themselves. That's just how it works.

The pretty standard way for a host to let others know that the guest was not okay, without going into specific details, is to write "better suited to a hotel", but that doesn't give us much information.

Another way is to write a generic review but leave low ratings, because the guest doesn't get to see the latter even after the reviews become public, but future hosts can. However, again, this doesn't provide future hosts with much information about what actually happened.

An honest review is the better way forward.

@Bruno257  I just left a review for a guest who was generally ok but didn’t communicate well, they didn’t read our listing and had issues because of it. Ultimately they were ok and new to Airbnb…also young. I was able to mention this in my review. My overall rating of them was a 3, and other hosts can see why. I struggled with the review but it was fair. The guest was nice he just needed to read the listing ! So there is no need to be cryptic!  The guest can see some of this feedback…but only if they actually read an email from Airbnb stating the review of them is posted…I think that one email is the only chance for a guest to see those details. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Terrill0 wrote:

The guest can see some of this feedback…but only if they actually read an email from Airbnb stating the review of them is posted…I think that one email is the only chance for a guest to see those details. 

@Terrill0 I assume you mean the guest can only see your private feedback if they choose to click on the email? The public review is posted on their profile, same as their reviews for us are posted on ours. You will see on your own profile that you have nine reviews from hosts. So, if you mentioned the issues in your review, as you stated above, the guests can easily see it anytime. 

This is the message body I received (Airbnb won’t let me post an image for some reason):

Thanks for being a great guest!
Sean
"Hey Terrill! It was a pleasure hosting you at the cabin
Thank you for your cleanliness and communication ~ Hope
you will come stay again!"
Read on your profile
More from Sean
Special thanks
• Neat & tidy
• Kept in good condition
• Took care of garbage
• Helpful messages
• Respectful
• Always responded
Frequently asked questions

HumaO, you are correct about the public review. Now the review system prompts you for specific information (both host and guest). The guest can only see this feedback in this one email. 
this way the guest gets some feedback. This non-public review is what future hosts will be able to see when they are vetting a guest. You won’t just see three stars and scratch your head. You’ll b able to see exactly why they got dinged: bad communication? Checked in late? All spelled out for the host but ONLY visible to the guest who opens (& actually READS) that single email…