Is there a cat in my not-pet-friendly house??

Answered!
Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Is there a cat in my not-pet-friendly house??

HELP! Need your thoughts please.....

Here's the situation: 

Got a reservation request about 7 weeks ago. It seemed to be from an enthusiastic young man who wanted to come to my area for a weekend getaway with his girlfriend to explore the area. I approved it. His initial correspondence was pleasant and enthusiastic. He is brand new to AirBnB. 

The day of his reservations- Friday, December 20th, he messages me in the early morning hours to ask if they can bring their "well behaved kitty." I am not listed as pet friendly, and I say no, with an excuse about future guests and allergies. They show up Friday night. I let them in and spend a minute or two explaining the heat, etc. and then leave them alone.

The next day, Saturday, I notice that all of the curtains are drawn as tight as can be. My spidey sense is on alert. You don't come to the country and make a cabin as dark as possible for no apparent reason. I would never enter the cabin without guest permission during a stay, so I haven't....but they did go out yesterday and I made my best attempt to peer in the cabin. I cannot see a thing. Those curtains remain pulled as tightly as possible. So of course I'm thinking that they brought the cat. What are your thoughts and what can I do?

I Obviously can't outright accuse them...but I'm highly suspicious. I am debating going in if they go out today. If I found a cat I would ask them to leave immediately. 

HELP!!

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kia272 

Something similar just happened to @David-and-Annie0 here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guests-violated-our-no-pets-policy/m-p/1187691

Annie's review of the guest, after the fact, is spot on and she handled the situation very well, in my opinion.

It is best not to react until you have evidence. You peering through the windows or entering the space unannounced could cause a lot more harm to the future of your listing if the guest gets Airbnb involved.   

View Best Answer in original post

61 Replies 61

@Kia272  Maybe they don't want you to see the bong on the table 🙂  Anyway, do get back here after they leave to let us know if they did smuggle a cat in. And yes, our gut feelings turn out to be true more often than not.

@Kia272  "drawn curtains 24/7. It's just weird." 

Not really. I have lost every single plant in all three of my Airbnb apartments because guests will immediately close all the venetian blinds throughout the place for their entire stay. It gives them a "great sense of privacy." I don't even entertain the idea of plants any more.

@Kia272  you will find that guests do all kinds of things you think are odd or would not do on your own stay. Doesn't mean they are up to something nefarious. 

@Kia272  Cats love climbing through curtains and jumping up onto sunny windowsills. They love playing Curtain Monster. Cat owners know this very well. So unless you've somehow cat-proofed your curtains, I think you're being suspicious for the wrong reason. As a guest, I would certainly not leave curtains open if I had any inkling that I had a nosy host who might come around trying to peek into the house...which, and I mean no offense by this, sounds super creepy.

The genuinely suspicious detail is that the guest waited until the day of the booking to ask about bringing the cat. Any responsible pet owner would make the effort to seek out Pets Allowed listings, or at least ask in an Inquiry before booking. In this case, the timing means the guest was probably not asking for permission but rather pre-emptive forgiveness; he  probably had every intention of bringing the cat anyway.

As far as your concerns about pets and allergies go...well, if there is a cat in the house, the damage is already done, so it doesn't seem like confirming it now rather than on the checkout date does you much good. But if it's eating you up inside and you really want to get in there, just make up a pretext for it (like a meter that needs to be checked, or an item left behind by a previous guest that you need to retrieve) and announce via Airbnb messenger that you'll be arriving at xx:00. While a couple hours' notice would give them a chance to exit the property or sneak their cat out into the car, it probably wouldn't be enough time to remove every trace of fur or litter...and your allergy might double as a sixth sense. 

If you take this course of action, you should have a plan in mind about how you'd deal with discovering evidence of a pet. Will you terminate the booking? Attempt to charge an extra fee (knowing that Airbnb won't necessarily enforce it)?

@Anonymous  Yes, possibly super-creepy if the guests were inside, but I'm not feeling creepy about doing it while they were gone, for a specific purpose only. It's done. I'm not a voyeur or a creeper. I'm letting it go until they're gone. If I do find evidence, I'll take appropriate action. Yes, the timing was strange as to the ask and as I said, it's my gut feeling. Had I seen obvious evidence or the cat itself, I would have asked them to leave. Plain and simple. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kia272 does anything inside the home need urgent attention and therefore for you to enter? Can you should stop by when they are there to give them a small Christmas box of cookies? Knock knock- happy holidays

I like this idea, if the stress is overwhelming for you, the season is perfect to drop by a little gift! 

@Inna22  - a great idea, but I had to leave the property yesterday for some work travel. I am waiting to hear from my co-host/neighbor to see what the verdict is....But as of now, they are gone, so it is what it is. I'm just curious to know. 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

As a person who likes to have natural light coming in, I leave all blinds, curtains, etc open all the time and many of my windows at home do not even have shades. I have noticed though, many people, including friends and neighbors, keep many of theirs closed or pulled day in and day out. 

I find it very odd, but many of them seem to be worried about privacy, which is most likely the case here. 

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

When do they check out?  I can’t be the only one dying to know if there’s a cat in there :). Love a mystery. 

@Amanda660  I'm also dying to know! They have checked out...I'm just waiting for my neighbor/cohost to report in. I'll report back. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kia272 

Something similar just happened to @David-and-Annie0 here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guests-violated-our-no-pets-policy/m-p/1187691

Annie's review of the guest, after the fact, is spot on and she handled the situation very well, in my opinion.

It is best not to react until you have evidence. You peering through the windows or entering the space unannounced could cause a lot more harm to the future of your listing if the guest gets Airbnb involved.   

@Emilia42  Thanks, I skimmed over the situation with David-and-Annie0....I couldn't figure out how to find the review they left for those idiot guests. I am indeed waiting to hear if there was evidence that a cat was in residence....I don't feel the least bit bad about the window peering while the guests were out,  and I consider that a lot less invasive than actually entering the cabin while they were out. 

Yes, I'm a fairly new host, and I guess each guest is a new experience and possibly a new lesson to learn. 

I appreciate your help!

@Kia272  just an fyi....these threads are searchable and tied to your profile.  So it might not be the best idea to discuss identifying characteristics (in this thread, gender, ages, when they are checking out and in) about  your guests in this forum. There is one called "host circle," where you can do so more privately. Guests do post here as well. On the off chance that your guests would see this its probably best to direct this type of discussion somewhere they won't run into it. 

@Laura2592  Can you tell me exactly what identifying characteristics you're referring to? Better yet, maybe not......because there aren't any.  You seem to have exaggerated much of what I have said here, and stepped it up to another level. Completely unnecessary and not entirely helpful. Cheers