Just starting out

Just starting out

I live in Wingo Ky, population just over 600. I was wondering for those here who are in the states, how often are your places occupied?

13 Replies 13

@Jo932 

This is such a good question - and I think it has a lot to do with location. I've experienced that no matter where we are, it has so much to do with what events/attractions are happening in your area, what scenic and recreational resources exist. Of course, there are family members visiting each other, and couples having a quiet getaway. What is it that makes each of our locations a destination? So...it will be different for everyone. Best holidays to you and yours!

Paula2563
Level 3
Vancouver, WA

Congrats on making the decision to start hosting !  It's so rewarding, I love it !

Yes as stated in the previous reply, there are so many factors.  Location is a big one that you can't change 🙂   If you are close to big companies who might have employees who travel for work, close to airports, or hospitals.  

I have been hosting for a year and I have had a wide range of type of guests.  My very first guest was an airline flight attendant.  I also had a young lady who was in town for a 6 month job internship.  Others have been visiting family or short jobs in town.  

Good luck and keep up to date on what is important to guests and what you might think is needed !  

Paula 

@Paula2563 I've got several things in mind that I will do. We have offsite parking for campers with 30 amp plug in. In case they're pulling a camper and want to stop on their way to wherever they're going. I don't have a washer or dryer in the house, so I'm going to offer laundry service, pick up and delivery. Also there will be a continental breakfast with individual wrapped pastries, instant oatmeal, milk and juice in the fridge. An assortment of K pods with different coffees, tea and hot cocoa. There are books they can read if they want. If they have started reading one and it's time to leave, I'll let them take the book with them.

I have a question. What is the "guest service fee"? Not money wise, but what exactly is it? "guest service fee" for what?

Kim866
Level 7
Puryear, TN

Hi Jo,

I grew up in Mayfield so I know exactly where you are!!!!!  We live in Puryear and have been host for 5 years.  The first year was the slowest ---so hang in there!  I think a lot has to do with LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!  I have noticed there are not a lot of options in that area so I would just be patient.  

Good luck!

Kim

@Kim866 Mayfield?? No way!! What a small world. Thank you for your encouraging words. I'm excited for my first guest, but also terrified. HAHAHA We're putting a key lock on the door so they can just walk in and make themselves at home. Once someone reserves it, I guess I'll find out what to do and how I can communicate with them directly. 

@Jo932 I highly recommend a keyless entry system. You just give them a code, no worries about keys being lost or taken. Also they can check in at their convenience without bothering you.  When someone books you will receive notification from the Airbnb site. You can then message guest. It is best to communicate through the site just in case of problems. Of course if the rental is near your residence you will probably also communicate in person. Ours is next door so we sometimes talk in the yard or whatever. We haven't had any problems, but I do try to use the site as much as possible. Honestly we never even meet 90 percent of our guests.

I so remember that terrified feeling!  The first time we had guests we were afraid to leave the house in case they needed something!!!! We actually take reservations now when we are out of town. Most things can be handled over a few messages. Also, each question you receive tells you what to address. For example, we have printed out EXACTLY how to operate the tv. We rarely get questions anymore about anything.

Good luck!

@Kim866 wonderful and helpful tips. Thank you. We did get a keyless entry system, however, my husband didn't get it put on in time. Last night he was looking at it and saw where one part was broke. If he had checked it out two weeks ago we could have had a new one put on. But it is what it is. I've been keeping in good communication with my guest. One point you said that I really appreciated was that it's okay if we don't meet every guest face to face. From what others have said, it sounded like we pretty much had to. Yesterday was when they were to arrive, but they messaged me saying it would be today. I'm so happy to say she just messaged that they're on their way. 

@Jo932 For the most part, go with your gut. I researched so much before we did this and I ended up just doing what I wanted as a guest. I tell them " we give you your privacy but we live next door and are available if you need anything at all"

Seems to work!

Congratulations on your first guests!

also, we did remember to leave them info on the Wi-Fi and where the remotes were. Things like that. I just kept going back and remembered how other cabins and hotels operated, and what I liked or disliked about my stays. I for one would not want the host to be around much. It would be distraction to me. I read somewhere here that let the guest set the stage. Another good point. 

How did your first hosting experience go?

@Kim866 It was great! They were scheduled to be there for 7 nights, check out on Thursday,  but couldn't get here on the first night. On Wednesday of that week another guest was wanting to book the house on Friday but because of situations she would have to wait until Friday. The first guest ended up adding one more day to their stay, having them check out Friday morning. After they left, we started cleaning and changing everything out, beds, bath towels, food, etc. On our way home I read my messages and saw where the other gal was trying to get a reservation for that evening. I had my listing blocking one day between guests. So I told her I would try to get that unblocked so she could come in that evening. After poking around I was able to do that and she reserved it for two nights. Busy busy week!

Awesome!!!!  Now you will stress less with each one as time goes on!