Location Reviews

Margaret491
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Location Reviews

Bit pointless.... why can guests score on location when they can view on the airbnb map (when they decide to locate accurately) (another message thread) I am fed up with 4 stars for location when the location is displayed in the listing details....

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I often get four on location and don't worry about it too much. @Margaret491 

I think it's fair enough for guests to comment on location as sadly some hosts bait and switch when they have multiple listings or put in a false address to hide illegal listings . 

I agree that the occasional 4 for Location is going to happen and we can't worry too much about it. And yes, bait and switch does happen --but that should be addressed under Accuracy and of course should be reported as fraud! The problem with guests' being able to rate a property's Location is that it's pretty arbitrary and is something the host cannot control/change. Airbnb should specifically be asking guests whether the property's location was "as described" if Location is to be rated at all. Otherwise, you get guests rating properties down for things that are not only out of the hosts' control, but also were thoroughly disclosed in the listing. For example, we have a property that is technically in a popular small town but is 10 minutes' drive from the downtown. Some people stay there because it's close to the town but also 20 minutes to great hiking, waterfalls, etc. We are extremely clear about what is around the property and the distances to popular areas and attractions, yet we still get the occasional 4 from someone who usually will give no indication of why they are leaving that rating, but sometimes will say there's "not much to do" (we're in a rural area and disclose this in multiple parts of the listing). Some people want to be in walking distance of the biking trails and restaurants while also somehow being in a private, serene area in the mountains (insert facepalm emoji). Or they want a mountain or lake view, even though they aren't paying for a view and you clearly don't advertise a view...

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Margaret491 If Airbnb took away location (because people know where it is) and value (because people know what it costs) they would be left with very little. I haven't heard any suggestions of what could replace location that has not already been dealt with in accuracy.

I wish there was a category dealing with Decor/design and possibly one dealing with Comfort. Those are two things that guests most appreciate about our listings (and do often mention in their reviews--there's just no way to rate them specifically).

@Jonathan-And-Diane0 Comfort I might agree with - Decor/design I would not. The latter is far too subjective and personal - The former could work but again some people like soft beds, others like hard beds.....

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I mean the location for my property is not ideal, as in it's not near downtown/city centre or near subway station. 

If you wanted to get to downtown by public transit you're looking at 1 hour to 1.5 hours (although granted, the public transit in this city is kinda trash, and could be a lot better in the future). If you wanted to go to airport by public transit you're looking at 2 hour minimum (kinda far didn't even calculate the time). So for me the location is a big con for this place. 

But there is a way to score higher on the location. If you describe in detail the places which are close to your place, for example, if there are any bus stops, restaurants, grocery stores within walking distance etc.  The thing which works for me location wise is there are 24/7 restaurants and a 24/7 supermarket within walking distance. There are also several bus stops close by so those are the things you would want to make very clear. 

I believe it works for me. Guests usually describe how easy it is to get things done in my neighborhood, and how accessible transportation is. 

Zheng49_3-1710947870643.png

But yea I mean personally, I don't think the location of my place is very ideal. But you have to work with what you got.

Zheng49_1-1710947757063.png