Long Stay PITA Early Termination

Answered!

Long Stay PITA Early Termination

It's my first time listing my property on airbnb but I've worked in the real estate rental market for a decade. 

My house is 3br 2bth, 2 car garage. My price point is a little lower than the area ($105/night) and lower than airbnb's suggested price ($136) b/c I wanted to stay competitive for my first booking. The house has multiple updates (new bathrooms, luxury vinyl floors, new windows, the kitchen was updated, etc)

My first guest requested a 3 month stay so I had them sign a contract. At first, I was suspicious because the guest booked an entire house claiming they needed a garage and to be near work, etc. The guest has previous positive reviews on airbnb and their ID and job all check out so I didn't think anything of it. Anyway, I had a dog in the house previously but he left 2 months prior to the first guest's arrival and the house was professionally cleaned. After the first day, the guest said they could smell a dog smell (the listing is pet friendly) so I offered an air purifier which the guest later rejected and said it may have just been the humidity but that they're fine now. After 2 weeks, the guest hired professional cleaners for a "general clean" and they're now saying the smell is back and they've found other "deficiencies" deeming the price "unreasonable." (Also, I have ring cameras and a smart garage remote and the guest hasn't used the garage yet. Despite claiming the garage was the reason they wanted an entire house. They've been ubering around.) Anyway, the other deficiencies listed were: 1) the primary bed has an older mattress with a mattress topper and new sheets but the guest says it's uncomfortable, the second bedroom has a 1 year old mattress and new sheets but it has "a smell" and the third bedroom has a brand new mattress, bed frame and sheets but the fan light doesn't work (however there's a lamp that works fine). Due to this, the guest says there's "no way" he can stay there. I've had a relative and handyman stop by on separate occasions to make a repair while the guest was at work and they both said the place was immaculate.

Anyway, the guest is now requesting an "alteration" so they can leave early and I'm not sure how to proceed. My cancellation policy is "strict." I understand I can decline the request but I'm wondering if that's the best solution. My understanding is Airbnb requires a 30 day notice but how will I ensure I get my money? Right now he's stayed for 18 of 90 days. I definitely want to let him loose and avoid the squatting situation at all costs. Is there anything else I can do to protect myself? I have a contract in place, however, the guest is from a different country (Canada). Assuming he doesn't pay for month 2, do I just need to hand the contract over to an atty? 

1 Best Answer

Hi @Rebecca,

Well that day the customer cancelled the reservation but remained in the house. Airbnb support called the next day to ask for a refund and I declined and told them the guest hadn't left yet. It took about 2 days but he finally left. No refund was given.

It's very unfortunate for my first booking but I think I'll stick to short term listings for now on!

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8

Surprised guest hasn’t already contacted air support..

contact via text chat airbnb immediately, have them direct you in writing best way to get him out without penalty, as he must be making you mental duress by constantly finding fault with property.  

if guest has come up with so many deficiency’s, may be worthwhile to contact atty, to use their insight for this challenge.. b4 guest asks for cash 4 keys.

Thanks @Alex1485! The only contact I've seen is their request to vacate early. They don't have physical keys (we use smart locks) but I'm more worried they have some other ulterior motives.  

Your listing looks lovely, it makes 100% sense to me the guest has mentioned  issues with “bed comfort and smells”..— photos reflect a very clean, modern and well designed space, guest is complaining about items you can’t “see”.

Yes, you are correct to be concerned, Best to move the guest out as soon as possible, with least amount of conflict..  

Were you able to speak to a live person, or connect with someone via airbnb chat to review the rules?  There is a formula used to calculate your payout, and the guest refund,  if the guest cancels now,  based upon nights stayed/ reservation and your cancellation policy and  air long term stay policy. 

There are a number of airbnb guru’s on this platform…hopefully, they will chime in as well.  

Something similar happened to us…bad bed complaint, guest unsuccessfully  attempted to get 50% refund.

I do think you should also touch base with a lawyer, for future, especially if you continue to offer long term rentals, to give you peace of mind…

cash4keys.=when you pay a tenant, usually 5-10K to leave a property. Give them cash, they give you the keys.

Thank you for your kind words! What you said really makes sense and I agree that they've overstayed their welcome!

I'm working with someone via the chat now but it would be nice to speak to someone. The person I got yesterday just sent a link to the resolution department. 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @KRC-Properties0 👋

What was the outcome of your chat with Airbnb Support? 

It would be great if you could update us, 
Rebecca 🌟

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi @Rebecca,

Well that day the customer cancelled the reservation but remained in the house. Airbnb support called the next day to ask for a refund and I declined and told them the guest hadn't left yet. It took about 2 days but he finally left. No refund was given.

It's very unfortunate for my first booking but I think I'll stick to short term listings for now on!

Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

@KRC-Properties0 

I’m sorry that you had this experience. I’d say the red flags were showing up when the guest kept making complaints about everything. Was this all this documented on the app/Airbnb platform? It appears they were likely trying to find a way to get a reduction in their booking rate. I’ve read stories of people booking for longer to get a discount (weekly or monthly discount) then trying to cancel due to problems with the listing. For instance someone inquired at a place asking for 3 nights even though the host minimum was 5 nights, then they complained on night 2 about something and then kept complaining and said they are leaving early and expect a refund of the remaining days. So they got their 3 night stay and got around the hosts 5 night minimum to book their listing.

I would have involved the Airbnb support sooner rather than later as you can ask them for support with the situation stating that you are concerned about the guests behavior as you are a new host, the place was recently remodeled and you don’t want this to escalate. It is good you signed a lease with them and you did the right thing to break the contract to forgo any further headaches.

Airbnb however should have paid you for the full 30 days as he was 20 days in when he actually left even though he said he “was” going to leave 2 days earlier. I would make sure you show the security camera footage to Airbnb to prove he stayed two extra days after he said he was leaving. 

Having a good real estate attorney or prepaid legal that has access to real estate attorneys is helpful to contact in sticky situations and be aware of your state and city laws regarding short term and long term rentals as I’ve read horror stories about guests establishing tenant rights (after 28 days) then it is hard to evict them. Never go off platform and communicate all on the app so Airbnb has a record of the interactions as it’s now a their word against yours. I’m sure you’re already familiar with this being in real estate for a while but it’s a good review too.

Reading these boards is helpful to familiar yourself with how situations pan out and best practices to prevent issues. I personally learned about stove protectors for my gas stove that make cleaning my gas stove much easier than before as it catches crumbs and spills and can be hand washed or put in the dishwasher. 

I hope you have much better hosting experiences ahead! 

Hi @Lorina14,

Thank you for the insight! I did take screenshots when he was leaving so I'll contact them about it. I've read many attempted discount stories but I never thought of getting around someone's minimum stay policy, wow. To be honest, I've found the community extremely helpful and I will continue to use these boards as I proceed. Responses like yours help tremendously and I'm learning very quickly how different Airbnb is from my previous landlord rep experience. I've just booked my second guest and I'm hoping this one runs much smoother, although I understand scammers love a "new" host. Thanks again!