Need advise on appealing against an incorrect damages claim from the host

Dipankar3
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Need advise on appealing against an incorrect damages claim from the host

Hi community

We booked a place in North Pole, Alaska ** and the host ** is from a different state. Upon entering the place, I messaged the host that the cleaner did not clean the rotten potatoes left right on the entry and the sofa bed is unstable, we want to use the futon instead. After the night passed, the host messaged apologizing for the miss of cleanup and cautioned against using the sofa bed if it is feeling unstable. The host requested a damage claims of about $2300.00 immediately after the review period was over, claiming that my group broke the sofa bed. It seems that the host is trying to pass the cost to me where they did not know that the sofa was broken until I brought it up.

Their argument is as below:

1. The cleaning crew cleaned the cabin before our arrival. The host claims the cleaning crew did not report any issues. (Note that it is the same cleaning crew which left the rotten potatoes on the entry way)

2. I messaged to the host about the sofa bed being unstable - it is on the Airbnb App.

3. 3 days after my check out they sent a repair person who took photos of the sofa bed and claims that the sofa bed is beyond repairs. The parts are not broken in the pictures. - They can easily be wear and tear due to the extremely temperature variation in the cabin.
4. The host waited for 11 days before they sent the damages claim. - The claim does not have original purchase receipt of the sofa, no depreciation, and an Ashley link where the sofa is selling at $1299/-. (I am glad that I did not review the 5 star review I was considering)

I declined the initial request and Airbnb support is engage. Airbnb support does not see any foul play from the host and is convinced with the pictures of the "damages" submitted. They have put up a request for $1499/-. 

I am looking for suggestions on how to put together an appeal to make Airbnb support go through my argument properly. I will be going to small claims court for this absurd damages claim.

Thanks.

**[Sensitive content edited - please see the Community Center Guidelines.) 

0 Replies 0