New Short Code in Scheduled Messages

Traci1
Level 7
York, ME

New Short Code in Scheduled Messages

We currently use a third-party application to send scheduled messages to our guests but would love to use Airbnb's new feature. However, our check in message includes the guest's code for our keypad which is always the last four digits of the guest's phone number. I'd like to make a request that this short code be added as I believe this may be helpful to other hosts too!

19 Replies 19
Brandon514
Level 1
Tampa, FL

Yes please add this!

Scott
Administrator
Administrator
SF, CA

Thanks for your suggestion @Traci1!. Agreed and noted.

Lyall4
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Please add this feature.

Traci above is correct, people like clear instructions.

Perhaps add a shortcode modifier to select your own number of digits to use from the phone number.

Is there any progress on @Traci1 's suggestion?  I was able to add just the last four as a short code via Guesty for Hosts but had double booking problems and plan to discontinue use.  But, it shows that it's possible to add.  Please consider this further Scott. I'm sure there are others, wanting, who are simply silent, as I have stumble upon this thread many times seeking the same result.

I was wondering the same, @Scott? Would be nice to be able to use a variable of [guest phone number], [guest last 4], or [guest last 5] for door codes. It sounds like that would address 90-95% of the codes that hosts use for keyless entry. Not that people can't figure out what the last 4 digits of their full phone number are, they're doing it today...usually, but as @Traci1 said back in 2021 it's always best to be very specific and not make people think.

HI Scott! 

With Schlage's integration, I think its even more important to have this shortcode for the last 4 digits of phone number. Is this available already? Or what can we do as hosts to make sure the feature can be expedited. THank you. 

Jinwoo6
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I hope to see this feature soon as well!

Scott
Administrator
Administrator
SF, CA

Hi @Traci1 I wanted to share the good news that we added Guest phone number to the list of available shortcodes for both Scheduled Messages and Quick Replies last week 👍

You can see the full list of shortcodes here https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2897/how-do-i-create-scheduled-messages-and-send-them-to-guests-...

Hi @Scott, we use the last four digits of the guest's phone number to create a unique keypad code for them and I'm assuming that the Guest phone number shortcode is all 10 digits? I'm afraid that this won't help in this case but I'm hoping that it could still happen! 🤞

Hi @Traci1 the idea is to use the phone number in a sentence like the following, which clarifies which digits should be used and displays the phone number to clarify the number you're referencing:

"...your door code is the last 4 digits of your phone number (415-123-4567)..."

One advantage of this approach is the same shortcode can be used by hosts with door locks that use 4, 5 or even 6 digit codes.

What do you think of this approach?

Cc @Ann72 

@Scott  That's so smart!  If guests can't figure that out, @Traci1, we have bigger problems lol 🙂

Well, we provide very clear instructions for the door code in the guests' check in message:

DOOR CODE

I've worked in marketing & communications for 13 years and ran our Airbnb for 5 and one thing that I've learned is to be as clear and concise as possible. And most guests don't even read the minimal instructions we give them. While I really do appreciate the attempt @Scott, I think I'll stick to updating the scheduled messages manually.

Exactly what Traci said. I want a short code for the last 4 digits of the guest number. My lock requires code followed by logo button. The idea that I would tell them that, then give them their number as +1 (123)-456-7890 is too much. (one thing that would surely baffle them is the short code begins their number with “+”. There’s no + on my keypad.)

GIVE US A SHORT CODE FOR THEIR LAST 4!

I’m running into the same problem. The problem, as I’m sure you can imagine, is while traveling there is so much new information to deal with. Giving short concise instructions and reducing the amount of information that travelers need to intake and process is invaluable. 

Offering just the last four digits is a way to help our guests have an easier and more enjoyable stay.