New host: pet stay without notice...advice

Jerry422
Level 3
Dallas, TX

New host: pet stay without notice...advice

We are new. 

We are dog friendly, but ask that guests let us know upon booking as a courtesy and because pets are an additional fee. This is stated in our house rules.

Our first guests (checking out tomorrow) brought a dog and didn't give us a heads up. We know they are aware because they have avoided the security camera since first entering the front door. They take the dog out via the garage instead.

We don't have an issue with having the dog, but they clearly didn't follow the house rules and requirement about letting us know. 

Our wonderings: 

1. Do we message them before they leave and request the pet fee via the resolution center (which we aren't even sure if we can do this.)?

2. Do we message them, let them know we are aware of the dog, give them a "slap on the hand" and let it go?

3. Do we ignore it completely and pray there is no damage?

Thanks in advance!

Suzanne

33 Replies 33

How should I approach the following situation?? Guest has a cat, this is a private room with shared bathroom, kitchen, & living room. Cat will "supposedly" stay in the bedroom the whole time. This is a long stay of 45days. Should I charge both a nonrefundable cleaning fee plus a refundable security deposit? 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Lee4364!

You might like to start a new conversation about this in the "Help" section of the Community Center.  The post you've replied to is quite old so you might not get as many answers as you could with a new conversation.

Head here if you'd like to start a new conversation and I'm sure you'll get some great advice from our Members!

Let me know if you need any help getting started.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Lee4364  Just decline. This guest is trouble. Your House Rules say "no pets," and this poor cat would be miserable being left locked up in a bedroom for 45 days. Don't even get me started on the litter pan issue. No, no, no.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Jerry422 Jerry send a message ' Hi , I have noticed that you have a pet travelling with you. you may not be aware but all Airbnbs now charge pet fees . It is a one off fee of ,   however much ,. I will send you through a request for this amount . Please accept when it arrives . Thank you . Please do not hesitate to call for anything else . I Ihope you are having a lovely stay ." H