Not sure if I should explain in my review a negative plumbing situation that occurred while I had a guest

Answered!
Sandi241
Level 2
Remsenburg-Speonk, NY

Not sure if I should explain in my review a negative plumbing situation that occurred while I had a guest

Hi Community, 

Murphy's law would have it that with my very first guests, I had a septic odor problem in my master bathroom that was very noticeable and I don't know if I should address it in my review.

The guest booked on July 3rd at 5:30PM for arrival the next day on July 4th and I had just contacted my plumber to let him know there was an  issue with an odor. He couldn't come until the 5th because of the holiday.  When I saw the booking, I let the guests know that a plumber was coming on the 5th and would most likely resolve the issue. I offered them a discount for the first night and an opportunity to cancel the reservation but they came anyway. Unfortunately, the plumber didn't resolve the issue on the 5th, and came again on the 7th, to which they still didn't resolve the odor.

The guests stay was 5 nights. I kept in constant contact with them as to what was happening. They used my other bathroom and the rest of the house (it's 1300 square feet), which didn't smell, except the odor was noticeable in the master bedroom. It was literally a sh*t show for me, as I couldn't figure out why they plumber couldn't resolve the issue. On Friday, they told me that I needed to install a house trap in my crawl space, which couldn't be done until after the weekend.  Yesterday, it was installed, which took care of the problem and now all is fixed and smelling fine, but the guest had to deal with multiple plumber visits, the lack of use of one bathroom and they said they couldn't sleep in the master bedroom after the first night. 

When they left, I arrived home as I was out of town while all of this was happening, and the odor was very present. I called airbnb support and then offered the guest a substantial discount for their entire stay, which they accepted and which they thought was fair. 

My question is this: Do I address the septic odor issue in my review of the guest? She just left her review and I can't see if she brought it up as I can't read her review. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to write or not write about it in the review?

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sandi241 Why would you bring it up? Other than perhaps to say the guest was very understanding of a maintenance issue that occurred during their stay. Your focus should be on the review you get and any possible response you may need to leave. Remember when you respond to them

a) Do not respond to their private comments as your reply will be public

b) In replying to their review you are addressing future guests NOT the guest that left the review.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sandi241 Why would you bring it up? Other than perhaps to say the guest was very understanding of a maintenance issue that occurred during their stay. Your focus should be on the review you get and any possible response you may need to leave. Remember when you respond to them

a) Do not respond to their private comments as your reply will be public

b) In replying to their review you are addressing future guests NOT the guest that left the review.

Thank you. I appreciate your words of wisdom and advise as I'm so new to this!

Also next time do not be so eager to get Airbnb involved, in fact the opposite is best. What exactly would some CS person in wherever they are have a clue of the issue. What are they going to add?

Otherwise you have handled well. Make sure you leave those guest a review so you could have the option of then leaving them a public review.

IF they bring the issue up, best to make light of the event, and best to not dwell on it.

IF #2 the whole event turns into a quagmire, you could always re-start with your listing and leave the old bones buried where they belong, the first cemetery. 😎

Sandi241
Level 2
Remsenburg-Speonk, NY

Fortunately they gave me a five star review. I'm glad its behind me. Thanks for all this information!