Overcharged during checkout

Overcharged during checkout

I was overcharged $140. On my payment page, I confirmed a TOTAL payment of $772. This total included a service charge, cleaning fee, and taxes. My bank was then charged $912. In the time my payment was processing, Airbnb changed the nightly pricing of my booking. This change, and the proportion shift in taxes and service fees led to my card being charged $140 more than I had agreed to.

After several calls and messages, Airbnb refused to issue a refund for the $140 overcharge, or the trip as a whole(which I now wanted to cancel). They insisted that the nightly pricing I was offered was inaccurate, and only an average of the cost of a stay. They refused to acknowledge the discrepancy between the price I was offered at CHECKOUT and the price I was charged, despite copies of emails sent to their support team. It's hard to see their refusal to address the problem, or compromise through cancellation/refund as anything but theft, and willingness to steal from their customers.

3 Replies 3

@Aubteen0 are you using a card with a different currency? Because if your bank account is in a different currency than the one used for the Airbnb listing, the exchange rate applied by your bank or credit card company might differ from the one used by Airbnb at the time of booking. This can result in a higher charge than initially shown. Some banks charge additional fees for transactions in a foreign currency or for international transactions. If your bank account is in a different country from where the Airbnb listing is located, this could result in extra charges. Since you have mentioned you contacted Airbnb, I also recommend confirming the breakdown of charges, and also speaking with your bank to understand any additional fees or discrepancies in the charge amount. Hope this helps! 

Thanks for the advice @Alicia753 ! No, I was paying in USD and billed in the same. The bank is in the US and no such fees are listed by either Airbnb or the bank. Unfortunately, Airbnb is going in circles and not addressing the root of the billing discrepancy, the undisclosed change in nightly pricing (from $106 to $129) during the checkout process. This change, and its effect on taxes and service fees is what changed the amount we were charged. So far Airbnb staff have not explained why the change happened and why we were not made aware before our card was charged(the confirmation page showed $106 a night and a $772 total). 

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey there @Aubteen0,

Have you contacted support recently? If not, I highly recommend you reach out to them so they can look into this for you! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines