Please Help! Young couple looking for a solution...

Answered!

Please Help! Young couple looking for a solution...

So I understand why most places don't allow people our age to rent, but my boyfriend and I don't know what to do for our specific scenario:

He and I are both 19. We've been together for 4 years straight, are both college students making good grades at separate colleges, both holding jobs, both fully owning cars and insurance that we both paid for without help or loans, have both moved out, and have good credit for having just started. For Christmas break this year we wanted to go on our first real trip together (ideally Myrtle Beach or somewhere around it,) instead of spending money on frivolous trinkets that our current dorm/apartments don't have the room for.

The main problem with this is that Airbnb counts 18+ as "adults" but individual renters somewhat understandably don't rent to anyone "below 21" or even "below 26" in some cases, and there isn't a setting to filter just the people that would even consider renting to us.
If anyone has any kind of solution or even might know of specific places that would have either a room or full place, preferably near the beach that would let us rent for like 2 or 3 nights in December of 2023, your help would be appreciated.

1 Best Answer

Solution came in asking individual locations and explaining our situation. We did find a place when and where we wanted, in our price range!!! 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kalli51 Is age discrimination allowed by Airbnb? It might be my ignorance but I don't think most European hosts ban 18 year olds.

As far as I am aware, the individual host is allowed to deny because of age. I don't know about how it is in other countries, but here I haven't been able to find a single airbnb that didn't have a "minimum age" specification halfway through it's listing description or course rules. 😞

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Many hosts in Europe consider 18 year olds in the US it appears to be different.

can you book at a hotel @Kalli51 

Possibly, but most are also 20 or 21, and an Airbnb is more in our price range. Thank you for the suggestion though.

@Kalli51 Could you go to Mexico or a Caribbean island instead?

Not a bad idea. We hadn't considered leaving the country. Neither of us have passports yet though, but maybe. Thank you for the suggestion regardless!

@Kalli51 I would definitely get a passport and leave the country. You will find that most hosts outside the USA welcome guests over the age of 18. You can also, in many countries, drink alcohol from age 18 and cross the road wherever you want.

I think you will find it most liberating to leave the land of the free once in a while.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Of course you could go to Bali ride motorbikes without helmets or licences and if you have an accident not be covered by insurance too... happens a lot , not necessarily a good thing ... H

That's also a good point. Plus at this point, it would be nearly impossible to get passports by December and plane tickets out of the country aren't really in our budget this year. 😕

Heather289
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Get your mum to book it?   

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you suggest they make a third party booking knowing it's against Airbnb'sT&Cs. @Heather289 

Heather289
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I don't believe it is against the T&Cs - I have received bookings made by people for their elderly parents, who can't use the internet, or by secretaries for their boss. 

But anyway, the young lady and her boyfriend sound very respectable, very hard working, very diligent, very likely to be excellent guests.     

I hope they find a place for a lovely holiday.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Of course it's against their T@Cs @Heather289 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427#:~:text=We'd%20love%20to%20welcome,unless%20you're%20staying....

if you want to risk not being covered by Airbnb by taking third party bookings that's up to you but please don't advocate it for others 

The issue with that would be the check in. If they don't allow 19 year olds to book it, we would more than likely be stopped while trying to check in for either an airbnb or hotel alike. Plus that feels shady and we just aren't about that.