Renting out entire home for the first time

Answered!
Scott1218
Level 1
Moscow, ID

Renting out entire home for the first time

Hi, I've been a host for several years, however this is my first time renting out my entire home. I put most of my things in my garage, left plenty of space in dressers and my closet to hang clothes. I'm even staying in the apartment attached to it and have security cameras outside.  I have several thousands of dollars worth of autographed sports memorabilia that covers my living room walls. If i take them down, it's gonna be pretty bare in here.  Should I take them all down?  I'm a 49ers fan so it's mostly larger items like framed Montana and Rice jerseys. I was also contemplating doing a recorded video walk through when the guests arrive. Basically to show what I have in my home and there are no holes or damage to the walls or floors.  Is that something I should do? Seems if someone damaged my place they could just deny it and I'm screwed.  I'm really surprised there isn't some sort of sign off when guests arrive that every thing is in working order when they arrived and some sort of inventory,  like tvs in the rooms, living room, etc.

I have a 4 bedroom home, 2 levels and it says 4 guests staying for 3 nights. Thanks for any advice!

1 Best Answer
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Scott1218 never leave anything in your apartment or home that you would not want to lose.Do not rely on cameras to prevent damage as that is the most likely scenario, not theft Some hosts have very high end places but not filled with personal memorabilia. Consider who you r guests will be ,as your house will be in for a lot more wear and tear in every  way . Always take a few quick pics before guests arrive in case there is a dispute.Privacy is a huge issue for many guests and most refunds are caused by undisclosed cameras and also suspension  because of this,so check out the guidelines very carefully. Communicate communicate communicate with your guests both before they arrive and during their stay and at the end of their stay. Use the messaging app and or their mobile but double up your messages on the app if you use your mobile. Make sure the guest knows that you are around for any issues. Leave you phone number on the fridge.Add a chalk board to say hello and or goodbye. Ask at least once during the stay if everything is going okay at the house via messaging or text. Good Luck .remember this is a job and you have to work at it to get the best results... H

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Kathy33
Level 8
Seattle, WA

First of all you are in a college town. Remove anything that you think is of value. Don’t worry about the wall. Our son went to the U of I. Good luck 

Hi, thanks for the response. Graduation weekend, so I'm assuming older people staying. Accidentally damaging my furniture or a wall worries me.  Seems it would just be a my word vs. Theirs and ive dealt with that before on here and airbnb sided with the guest

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Remove anything of value either in terms of personal value or cost that you don't want stolen or damaged.

You can put up some nice local prints of your area to replace @Scott1218 

as a guest I'd be really uncomfortable with you doing a video walk through with me. 

you can always film the place before your guests arrive . 

Well thing is I have security cameras outside that records all movement. Would be pretty easy to see someone walking out the door with one of my framed jerseys. Guess I'll take down my smaller things like the helmets and smaller pictures. It's a bit much, like a 49ers mancave. I like the local prints idea too, thanks

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Scott1218 never leave anything in your apartment or home that you would not want to lose.Do not rely on cameras to prevent damage as that is the most likely scenario, not theft Some hosts have very high end places but not filled with personal memorabilia. Consider who you r guests will be ,as your house will be in for a lot more wear and tear in every  way . Always take a few quick pics before guests arrive in case there is a dispute.Privacy is a huge issue for many guests and most refunds are caused by undisclosed cameras and also suspension  because of this,so check out the guidelines very carefully. Communicate communicate communicate with your guests both before they arrive and during their stay and at the end of their stay. Use the messaging app and or their mobile but double up your messages on the app if you use your mobile. Make sure the guest knows that you are around for any issues. Leave you phone number on the fridge.Add a chalk board to say hello and or goodbye. Ask at least once during the stay if everything is going okay at the house via messaging or text. Good Luck .remember this is a job and you have to work at it to get the best results... H