Renting out my home that I somewhat still live in

Answered!
Matu25
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Renting out my home that I somewhat still live in

I am a new host to airbnb and I have a beautiful home that I am renting out. I live there alone and i'm renting to make extra cash and I love hosting people. Most people that have visited me love my home and I love having people visit but I still live there.

I have cleared out all of my belongings and moved them down to the basement. So there are no clothes, shoes nothing. All of the drawers and closets in the house are empty. The only things I still have in the house are in the kitchen, my seasonings, teas, and others. I also still have some food kept in the refrigerator as I use the kitchen to cook when there are no guests. I also had pictures of myself and family in the livingroom. Do I need to clear all of this out as well? I like my images there. When I'm not hosting guest Im usually in the house or I may have my own guests come to visit. I hosted a super host from airbnb recently who shared some great tips with me about hosting and I plan to incoperate what she's shared with me. Some of her tips were to clear out everything that belonged to me,  however, I've thought about somethings and  I don't know if I want to clear out all of my seasonings from my kitchen. I have also  a shelf in the living room with books on them, these books vary from IT, to religious, to leadership, selfhelp etc.  Do I need to clear them out as well? Do I need to clear out my images as well?  I still live at the house I just no longer sleep in the rooms as they now belong to people who rent it.  

Any thoughts?

I r

1 Best Answer
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

I live in a house part time and rent part time. It’s a second home and I live there 2 nights a week. It’s three bed, 2 bath. I advertise 2 bed, one bath. I lock my bed and bath when I’m not there. I have some pictures of us and the dogs in the hallway,  books, records, dvds, but I cater it more toward guests and less to me. I keep my personal stuff in my room that is locked. 

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

I live in a house part time and rent part time. It’s a second home and I live there 2 nights a week. It’s three bed, 2 bath. I advertise 2 bed, one bath. I lock my bed and bath when I’m not there. I have some pictures of us and the dogs in the hallway,  books, records, dvds, but I cater it more toward guests and less to me. I keep my personal stuff in my room that is locked. 

Thanks @Dawn241 !

Hello !

Yes, all personal items should be cleared out…especially as you do not want guest to accidentally wreck/break something you value.  

Items like seasonings…stay..

Food in the frig, would remove, should be empty.

When you use the frig, when guests are not there, bring up from your living space.

Personal family photos…move to less used areas…like hallways.  treat living room as a guest space.

Books/ bookcases are very trendy right now…keep..

good luck..

Thank you @Alex1485 !

You are most welcome!

Your home looks very lovely…I can see from the photos what care you take in the design and presentation.

I wish you much success!! 

I would offer you these extra  tips…

Please build a little savings for things that guests break or linens that get spoiled, as asking most guests to reimburse you for damages can be very challenging…

Recommend all your guests buy travel insurance… usually about 3 guests cancel each year,  unfortunately, we are able to always give $.back, based upon the timing…this way they are covered, if they do have to cancel.