Ripped off by Airbnb

Ripped off by Airbnb

So I booked an AIRBNB in Ft. Myers Beach for part of August and September 2022.  I booked directly from the owner for the month of August.  We came to this area to  purchase a home.  We decided t stay after the first 10 days and spoke with the owner.  He indicated he had another property in the same community a little cheaper and we negotiated a good deal.  After spending about 5 days in the new place my wfe was getting eaten at night by unknown creatures as she slept.  We tried everything to get rid of this problem.  The owner offered to let us move back to the original lodging for the same price.  We agreed, but when we re-did the paperwork AIRBNB popped in and took $3000.00 out of my Paypal account.  We tried to get it refunded and they just don't listen.  The owner was absolutely no help here either, he laughed about it and said it would take months.  Owner also claims he did ot get the money????  So AIRBNB not only took my money illegally, the took it and deposited it into a foreign bank!  So if the owner does NOT get the  rental fee who does????  And when??? AIRBNB call center was through a foreign entity that I could not understand half the time and would not provided a stateside contact for this.  I have exhausted their contacts with info they just do not see the problem...along with receipts showing the transactions.  So Caveat Emptor....avoid Ft. Myers Beach, the owner **, and AIRBNB entirely.

** [Name hidden due to privacy concerns - Community Center Guidelines]

55 Replies 55
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Wes428  this is new information:

you've been charged for staying in 2 places at the same time? 

yes or no to this question is the best clarification. 

YES

And, answer the questions...who/where does this money go???? Is the owner a liar?

@Wes428 How did you pay the money?

@Wes428 until you answer the question as to how you paid for the stay we can't tell you where the money went!

As far as "outside AIRBNB", NO, all the docs and every conversation are recorded on AIRBNB....it was just who got the money....

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Wes428 you clearly stated you booked the property directly from the owner. If it was booked through Airbnb you have to either do it via their website or app, and would have received confirmation. It sounds like you didn't do that. 

COPY OF ANSWER ALREADY POSTED:

"If you had privy to the entire event, you would see that it is...I purposely kept everything on AIRBNB to have a paper record, and I have it solid, it is the runaround as you are attempting to do that stops a real look see into the problem...as I said, stonewalling is a virtue used well....I purposely avoided all phone conversations as well to keep this entire even in a hard record."

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Wes428 then why say you booked directly from the owner? All sounds rather odd to me...

@Wes428  "Who got the money" is the crux of whether you booked on Airbnb or booked direct.  If you booked direct, e.g. the owner got the money and not Airbnb, then Airbnb won't and cannot help you.  It doesn't matter whether you used the platform for communication, what matters is whether you paid using Airbnb or some other way.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Wes428 in the first line of your post you say 'I booked directly from the owner for the month of August. '

This doesn't sound like an Airbnb booking now does it?

If you had privy to the entire event, you would see that it is...I purposely kept everything on AIRBNB to have a paper record, and I have it solid, it is the runaround as you are attempting to do that stops a real look see into the problem...as I said, stonewalling is a virtue used well....I purposely avoided all phone conversations as well to keep this entire even in a hard record.

Wow, you are a bit... never mind.   No one is giving you the run-around. Your rantings are literally incoherent.

Your words in your original post do NOT sound like you booked through AirBNB, but rather booked off the platform directly with the guest. YOU did not make that clear since literally everyone who has responded is under the impression you booked off platform. 

Your words.... "So I booked an AIRBNB in Ft. Myers Beach for part of August and September 2022.  I booked directly from the owner for the month of August. "

Maybe take a step back, take a deep breath and then take a Xanax and try again. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Wes428 ,

This is strange and it seems you have gone through an ordeal. If possible, can you pass me on your reservation ID with this host in DM. This will help me to know better about your case, so that I can pass it on to the concerned team.

Bhumika

Can't find what you're looking for? Click here to start a conversation!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

This is the unit we were switched into

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

, this is the unit we paid for and started in

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

, we were charged the full amount for the unit we were switched to instead of using the already paid for unit that we started in, which was the arrangement, since we were already paid up, and since the bugs or whatever were still biting my wife, we were offered the remaining time in our stay at the newer at no charge for the remainder of our stay.