Robbery in the middle of the night

Answered!
Andres1022
Level 2
New York, NY

Robbery in the middle of the night

I am a host and recently had a guest robbed of their valuable items in the middle of the night while they were asleep. My guest had left the door UNLOCKED and only realized their items were stolen the next morning. This person is asking me to file a claim with my insurance company but they dont cover in situations due to negligence. They are asking for me to personally compensate but I feel that this was not my fault and they should have locked the door. What else can I do in this situation?

1 Best Answer
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Andres1022  No one is suggesting YOU fabricated the story, they are suggesting that the guest might have. 

Here is what I know personally from years of travel, renting, and home owning. Every insurance policy is different.  Typically travel insurance will cover theft of items, however negligence is a factor, so I am not sure if that will be considered when they process the claim.  The guest needs to deal directly with the company in which they purchased the policy from. Sometimes homeowners or renters' insurance also offers coverage of theft for individuals when they travel. I had my laptop stolen years ago while traveling and my renter's insurance at the time covered it. 

The first step is them filing a police report, which it sounds like they did. Then they need to contact their insurance (whatever it is, travel, home, other) and file a claim. While as a host, it is nice that you are sympathetic to their situation, ultimately there is nothing further for you to do at this point. It's not your responsibility nor obligation to compensate them. As far as YOU filing a claim goes, I will include what Aircover states below, but to sum it up, they will only cover the theft of guest item is you are found legally responsible for the theft. In this situation that is not the case.

Host liability insurance, part of AirCover for Hosts, protects you in the rare event that a guest is hurt or their belongings are damaged or stolen while staying at your place. People who help you host, like Co-Hosts and cleaners, are also included in this coverage.

Host liability insurance covers you if you’re found legally responsible for:

• Bodily injury to a guest (or others)
  • Damage to or theft of property belonging to a guest (or others)
  • Damage caused by a guest (or others) to common areas, like building lobbies and nearby properties

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15

This is literally not your problem. It is between the guest and the police. You are not responsible or liable.