Rodents and mosquitoes complaints

Answered!
Carmina26
Level 2
Half Moon Bay, CA

Rodents and mosquitoes complaints

We have a guest who said there was a rodent on the property, however, none of the current guests mentioned any issues like that. We feel like the guest was just trying to get something from us. She basically booked a private room and after a couple of days, she complained about mosquitos found in her room. The property is in SF and the temperature is quite cold so mosquitoes may not stay in a cold-temperature house. The guest canceled in the middle of her reservation, it's a long-term reservation so she will not receive a refund. She raised the issue to Airbnb, however, Airbnb said we can uphold our cancellation policy since there was no evidence from this guest about her complains.

Now, the guest is threatening that she will file a legal case against us to the city of SF, I am wondering if the city has something to say or do about her complaints. As far as we know, these issues should be brought up to Airbnb only, correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Danielle1342
Level 3
Pensacola, FL

I would also put in your listing that while you do everything in your power to prevent insects and such, there may occasionally be one.  We put this in the listing because it's Florida and completely unrealistic to not have an occasional bug.  

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
-Maya Angelou

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is a global forum so many of us won't be aware of your local consumer legislation @Carmina26 As you run a property management company I am sure you will be more familiar with consumer legislation in your area then we are.

You say this guest stayed in a room in a share home. Have you checked with the owner who lives on the premises.

Did the guest provide evidence of the rodent/mosquito's.  If not even if the guest is able to complaint to your city council it's unlikely she will get anywhere particularly as Airbnb have already refused her claim.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Her legal case would claim exactly what? She is entitled not to ever spot a mouse or encounter a mosquito while living on Mother Earth? I am glad to hear Airbnb chose not to placate to this hustler and I am sure the local AG wants no part of this charade.

Danielle1342
Level 3
Pensacola, FL

I would also put in your listing that while you do everything in your power to prevent insects and such, there may occasionally be one.  We put this in the listing because it's Florida and completely unrealistic to not have an occasional bug.  

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
-Maya Angelou