Rodents at property

Rodents at property

Our middle daughter and her friends were coming to the city for the weekend and going to a concert.  Since there were 10 of them they decided to do an Airbnb instead of a hotel so they'd all be together.   We, my husband and I, went to drop off our youngest daughter so she could spend the weekend with her sister and friends and go to the concert as well.   Upon arriving at the house, I was surprised by the marijuana smell inside the house.  Then took a tour and there was a 'sewage' smell in the stairwell that was to the upstairs and downstairs laundry room.  I said let's close the laundry room door.  Upon going down the stairs, we saw a rat trap with the longest tail I have ever seen sticking out of it.  Now it's all great that they caught it, but not good that it was left there and rotting as that was the 'sewage smell' that we could smell.   We told the girls about it and they in turn contacted their 'host'.  The host was like 'sorry', but we had traps for it and evidentially the pest control place didn't look at it.  Well what about the cleaning person???   Also, the dishwasher was broken and dishes in the cabinet had water on them as well.   They also found an open can of 'Monster' energy drink in the house.   They did complain to the host, who just kept having excuses.  The girls were getting tired of interacting with him.   I wish I was there then so that I could of given my 2 cents.  This totally to me is unexceptable.  They did come on Saturday and removed the rat and trap and the smell was better than.  But where there is 1 rat, I am sure there are more.  So to me that is a 'health' hazard.  Not sure what else can be done.  They did agree to a refund of $250 but they paid almost 10 times that for the weekend.   I really hope no one gets sick from even breathing in the fumes of the decaying rat.  They also paid extra to have 2 dogs there and imagine if those dogs would of gotten into the Rat trap  - Geez!   I seriously think this house should take a break from the Airbnb business for a bit.   Not sure if there is anything else these girls can do. 

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did your daughters follow the advice on the booking confirmation and contact Airbnb if they weren't able to resolve the issues satisfactorily with the host @Renee722 

They would have had the option to cancel the booking if they didn't want to stay there and for Airbnb to help them find alternative accommodation if there were rodents at the listing.