Security Camera Discrimination In Favor Of Hotels

Danny37
Level 4
Nashville, TN

Security Camera Discrimination In Favor Of Hotels

Airbnb is discriminating against room rental listing hosts, favoring hotels.

Hotels are allowed to utilize security cameras in all common areas, however room rental hosts in a houseshare are not allowed and are banned as of April 30, 2024.

Room rental hosts and their guests, have greatly benefited from the use of security cams in the common areas of a houseshare, cutting down on sexual assaults, armed robbery, murder, aggravated assaults, internal thefts, illegal drug dealing, drug use, and more.

As of April 30, 2024. Guests will no longer have a sense of security with renting rooms in an unsecured houseshare. Fact is, that many guests will seek out house-shares with security cameras for their stays. I being one of them. I refuse to rent a room in a houseshare that isn’t acting in the best interest of their guests security.

Such discrimination practices of favoritism of such, will benefit hotels only. With disregard to room listing hosts or guests.

It is a proven fact, that security cams are a criminal act deterrent. Therefore, Airbnb is not only discriminatory in its decision to ban security cameras in houseshare common areas but is also opening themselves up to possible legal actions and law suits, should it be proven that a sexual assault, murder, robbery, drug overdoses and more,  may not have happened if current security cams in listings were not banned.

Be advised that such discriminatory practice of any kind is adverse to the principles of the founding members Airbnb mission statement. Hosts have relied on this mission statement in building their short term rental businesses. Airbnb is now a publicly traded stock offering company and is bound by SEC regulations. There could be possible violations with any act of preferential treatment or discriminatory act.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Danny37 I can't comment on whether or not this is discriminatory but it does seem short sighted. I totally agree all internal cameras should be banned in whole home rentals but for shared homes it seems to me that they protect both the guest and the host equally. 

Maria19300
Level 2
Berlin, CT

I believe in another post the host had a conversation that was recorded with whoever the supervision staff is and they made it clear that a SHARED home situation MAY have cameras in the common areas since there's no expectation of privacy.  I believe this host was from the UK.  I have a listing as a separate unit and that has no indoor cameras but multiple outdoor cameras for my guests safety BUT I was considering doing room renting and I currently HAVE cameras in my common areas because of my dogs...and I will either not be removing them and switching to another platform for those listings OR approaching the "supervisor" people to review it with them.