Serious concern, advice please

Katherine708
Level 2
Brecon, United Kingdom

Serious concern, advice please

Hello all, 

im desperately after some advice please, I have a booking that is due to arrive on Friday 25th (3 days). 

I reached out to the guest to give my name etc when I accepted the booking, to no reply. 

For the last 24 hours I have been in contact asking the guest for Contact details for each adult as I’m on a Haven site, I must supply this information. The guest has been incredibly evasive answering my questions with questions. 

I've finally received the car registration and 1 other mobile number, but I advised I need a contact for each adult. The more evasive they are, the more concerned I am. As there’s an element of trust when you let your property to someone. 

I’ve raised my concerns to Airbnb to be Quoted policies and procedures but not answering my question. 

The guest doesn’t display a photo (which I appreciate maybe not everyone wants to). 2 different names are displayed for the booker and no previous bookings in place. 

I really want to cancel now as I don’t feel at all comfortable and I’m not confident as to what I’m being told by Airbnb. 

I don’t suppose I provide more that 7-10 breaks a year with Airbnb, so I’m not that experienced, but I have bad feelings about this one. Can this be considered extenuating circumstances? I do not want to be charged £100 for cancellation when the guest has given me cause to. 

Thanks in advance 

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Katherine708 

If you cancel the reservation, you will be penalized like this:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/as-a-host-what-penalties-apply-if-i-cancel-a-reservation-for...

The cancellation fee can be waived, please read the details.

The 'extenuating circumstances' cancellation policy does not apply.

Maybe put some pressure on the guest by stating you will need to cancel the reservation if the requested infromation is not received in time.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Katherine708 There are red flags all over this. Was it instant booked? If so, you are allowed a certain number of penalty free cancellations if you are uncomfortable with a booking. The fact this booking is coming up soon may complicate that, though.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2022/can-a-host-cancel-a-reservation-without-adverse-consequences

Something you can try is to tell the guest that you won't release the unit access details to them until they've supplied the pertinent info. However, Airbnb automatically makes that accessible to a guest 48 hours before check in, as long as you've supplied it with your listing.

If these guests end up staying, I would highly recommend you tell them that you will be checking them in personally, and I would keep a very close eye on your property while they are installed. I hope you are not a remote host.

Going forward, put your guest info requirements in your house rules. Direct guests to provide this info directly to you in their initial message to you with their booking. Indicate that a booking will not be accepted/confirmed until this info is received.