Short notice, 1-night stay, no previous reviews, under 25...

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Short notice, 1-night stay, no previous reviews, under 25...

I'm sure I'm not the only host to go into "danger mode" when receiving a request to book that ticks all of these boxes? 😉

But after a few messages (and some internet "stalking"...), I had a good gut feeling and decided to trust it. 

And I'm glad I did - this young woman was a lovely guest. 

Sometimes your gut feeling tells you more than loads of glowing reviews!IMG_0280.jpg

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Trude0It is not always about reviews. I host frequently guests without reviews.

Doing some research outside Airbnb useally brings up the information i am looking for.

And some more communication always helps.

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

My point exactly!

I've had a few "newcomers" before, and they have turned out to be great guests.

And I know from the forum that other hosts have accepted bookings from guests with numerous glowing reviews, to then wonder after check-out, how these guests could have so many good reviews? 

As I am a manager "in real life", and frequently hire people, I think I've become quite good at checking applicants/potential guests out online. My teenage daughters call it "stalking". I call it a very useful skill... 🙂

@Trude0  I kind of wish I had those kind of skills! 

I think I am going to turn off IB. It has a few nice features but I'd like to read the guest past reviews. I had one recent retired couple and they use the review process as a way of bargaining for their next stay. Actually two recent guest intentionally marked me down in location, and kind of meh review, so one reading it would think if that's the best they can offer there must have been something wrong with it. But rave personal message about how everything was perfect. I read her next review on the next stay on same trip just just mentioned "It was a plus it had a washer dryer" and also marked that one down, a new listing, for both location and value, and I'm sure sent a glowing personal message about how wonderful it was.

I also canceled one guest, using one of my cancelations, when they started asking questions that was means of extortion and clearly stated in the first part of the listing disruption. This one guest also did that, so pretty much just complaining to try and get a refund. 

They expect a place with a great view to be in the center of the city and easy walking distance to everything. 

Anyway I would at least read their past reviews. 

Also anyone can do an online search, that likely doesn't require any special managerial skills. I also may be more transparent and just don't like being too nosy. Kind of funny too that some guest who only provide a general area where they are from, then want to communicate directly with me which I don't bother, mostly because I also enjoy the convince Airbnb has to offer. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Hi @Trude0 

Roughly 40% of my guest are new, no reviews, and I haven't had any serous  issues with any guest. The new guest tend to have fewer minor issues as well and tend to want to make a good start. 

My settings new guest need to request to book and Airbnb only provides a first name, so I'm left to guess that you ask for their ID during the communication? I don' think that would work as well with me. I think guest would be more worried giving any information. Maybe you have more success and gust feel they can trust you. 

I also don't do any kind of online search for guest. I just haven't had a bad guest experience yet so its not necessary for me. I also have accepted over 99% of guest request. Only one I declined as they had already withdrawn a reservation request and only had one word in the intro message. 

I think my listing is very transparent. Rules are clearly stated. No nonsense approach. I say max guest is 2 and one car. 

I also can't wrap my mind around Stockholm attracting bad guest but has been a while since I've been there and was only there a few days.

If it was a female guest I would accept them without hesitation. So far even younger guest have tended to be less trouble but its just minor issues, and in the end may balance out. Still for me as a host even minor things can be stressful, but really no way to screen for that and tend to be guest with previous reviews who now want a more budget friendly place yet make a greasy mess, run the washer dryer non stop even if they are here just a few day, ask to bring along more family a few days before check in, food stains or makeup on sheets, which tend to be from guest with reviews. I mention some things in the listing, such as not ruining linens, but most of the time issues are so infrequent its not worth including another rule.