Should I refund for broken gas firepit?

Answered!
Tracy131
Level 6
Franklin, MA

Should I refund for broken gas firepit?

I have a guest staying 3 days with 2 young children. Its a 3 bedroom waterfront house on a lake with a patio, dock, grill,  lawn furniture, cornhole set and indoor games and use of kayak and sup. The gas firepit broke the might before her arrival. I told the guest asap and apologized. She is very dissappinted bc she planned on sitting by the fire at night and making smores. Should i offer any kind of compensation. I was thinking of taking $100 off (total stay $1200) . Suggestions please. Thank you! 

1 Best Answer

@Tracy131 It would be nice to either offer some sort of refund or if it isn't to much of an expense or disruption to the visit maybe repair or replace the pit (sorry I have no idea how gas fire pits work so it is only a suggestion). I would at least make the offer of the small refund as a gesture. I'm not sure if you would want to invest in a portable firepit, HomeDepot has at least 2 that are under $200. If you are able to get a portable pit it will make things right with the guest, you will have it if and when the gas one is out, and it is an investment in your space rather than a refund. With the happy guest you will not likely get a bad review. If she is upset now even mosquitoes can set her off. Just an idea. I hope it works out well. 

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tracy131 you have probably increased her life expectancy by stopping her eating smores. I wonder if there is anything that would better compensate for the loss of this amenity rather than money. I don't know - perhaps a chocolate fountain??

@Tracy131 It would be nice to either offer some sort of refund or if it isn't to much of an expense or disruption to the visit maybe repair or replace the pit (sorry I have no idea how gas fire pits work so it is only a suggestion). I would at least make the offer of the small refund as a gesture. I'm not sure if you would want to invest in a portable firepit, HomeDepot has at least 2 that are under $200. If you are able to get a portable pit it will make things right with the guest, you will have it if and when the gas one is out, and it is an investment in your space rather than a refund. With the happy guest you will not likely get a bad review. If she is upset now even mosquitoes can set her off. Just an idea. I hope it works out well. 

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

@Tracy131 I would refund her $100.00 , as well as buy a portable pit, where the family can roast marshmallows as they had planned.