Simple suggestions from a regular Airbnb guest

Answered!
AnneMarie253
Level 3
Fairport, NY

Simple suggestions from a regular Airbnb guest

Hello Awesome Airbnb Hosts!

My husband and I have stayed at many airbnb locations in the US, France, Spain, Greece, Mexico (not all make it on my list bc for some odd reason, some hosts don't ask for a review and therefore don't fill one out for us either). We have stayed a few days and as long as 2 months. 

I have a suggestion to offer - maybe not possible for all hosts but as I am here now in one lovely place in Greece, it quickly becomes evident to us that the hosts have never stayed here. They have not slept here to see how the beds and sheets are, if it's too light in the mornings, if the noise from the street is more than they imagined; they have not grocery shopped and tried to put things away (we had one place with literally no pantry or cupboard for groceries anywhere), they have not cooked or baked, showered or tried to find a place to hang wet towels after a shower...especially for more than one person!

I have found myself looking for many simple items like food storage containers - if there is a full kitchen, people are often renting the place bc of a kitchen and when making meals it is useful to have somewhere to put food that needs to be stored (leftovers, cut fruit or veggies, etc).  Right now I have no scissors to open any packages and knives are all dull. There is no plastic wrap, foil or food storage containers so everything is in the fridge in a bowl with a plate on top. There are no cooking utensils that won't either melt or scratch pans. We do try to take good care of everything in the place and equipment. 

So, it's just an idea, I believe that if people stay at their own rental for long enough to have to sleep, shop and cook and shower, they'll realize some basic items are missing. 

I understand it is not the hosts place to provide foil, plastic wrap, tissues (almost never have tissues), etc - but these are just some little things that go a long way for a great stay.

We had our best location ever in Cadiz, Spain in regards to finding all we needed and this was because the hosts also live there for extended times during off season - it was obvious and amazing. It was our 3rd airbnb in Spain in 2 weeks and hands down the best anywhere for those reasons. 

Anyway, just FWIW 🙂 

Not criticisms, just feedback. 

1 Best Answer
Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

What a nice post @AnneMarie253 

We are hosts who live on the property and host our guest house. You have very good points! I wish our bedroom had a closet and more room to hang towels and clothes than the hooks we added, it is an old building and never had those things. I think the residents of 100 years ago did not own as many clothes as a modern traveler!

One reason I have decided to not offer Teflon pans is the harm it does to the environment, but I have had a guest suggest that we offer those. I have cast iron pans and stainless steel pots and pans. I do offer the plastic trash and sandwich bags we are all addicted to! (Also old time glass refrigerator dishes with lids that people do not use). I do use the kitchen when we do not have guests, I like the big old sink better than the one in our house, so I do use it when I am juicing or cooking a big batch of something. I don't rent for longer than 2 weeks, I think people would not be happy in our little Bunkhouse long term!

Chris

Ted & Chris

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16

@AnneMarie253   I want to be a fly on the wall at the board meeting where Airbnb's product team decided which features to turn into Categories for the flexible search. There must have been a couple theatre queens who made a little skit based on how they imagine guests are thinking:

Schnookums, let's take a holiday! Where shall we go?

I don't care, Noodle, I'd love to go anywhere in UNITED STATES for one week in November, as long as we can stay in a HOUSE with a PIANO!

Well Schookums, today is our lucky day! I've just discovered this website called AIRBNB and I found us a HOUSE in DUBUQUE, IOWA which contains a piano! The fun will never stop!

Oh, Noodle, that is simply perfect! We'll never long for the museums of Manhattan or the beaches of Hawaii, when we can celebrate our wedded bliss by tinkling "Mary Had A Little Lamb" on a stranger's instrument in a semi-detached unit down the highway from a fragrant pig farm! Our life is a glorious cycle of song, our love is a thing that could never go wrong!

Exactly, Schnookums! Technically it's a double-wide trailer, but I shall book it straight away! But wait a minute, before I pull out my Discover card, I just need to be absolutely sure that it's SKI-IN/SKI-OUT. Because that is the most important quality of a rental home!

The current search format is perfect for these guests and crap for basically everyone else. But it's nice that you've managed to find some good places to stay in spite of it.

Mark4445
Level 3
Aurora, CO

Thank you for posting this. I have stayed at Airbnbs all over the world but have started looking for other accommodations and will likely start staying in hotels again. As I type this, I'm spending two weeks in an Airbnb in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. There are no cleaning supplies, there is no toilet brush, there are no food storage containers, there are no trash bags and there is is no dish strainer. There is one dish towel. There is no broom or dustpan. I went to the market and bought those things. It was like moving into a new apartment and having to furnish the place. I think Airbnb should force owners to stay in their properties for two weeks before they're allowed to post a listing. I suspect things would be very, very different.