Strange Inquiry and Booking

Ryan2948
Level 1
Golden, CO

Strange Inquiry and Booking

I received a strange inquiry from a guest asking several questions about the proximity of my place to a nearby condo, if my place is quiet, has good hot water, etc. They initially asked me to call them, but when I told them I would only answer questions on the platform they sent the questions and then booked for two weekends in a row. They don’t have any reviews, but told me they are a 5 star guest on their VRBO account. It does seem like they have an answer for my questions, but the grammar is a little off (all lower case, no punctuation). I’ve read the details on the scams, so the ask to call them was a red flag to me. But then they answered some of my questions and did actually book twice. I can’t tell if I should trust this booking?

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I wouldn't worry too much - 2 weekends in a row suggests they should be ok to me

Okay - thank you for the feedback!

Michael5047
Level 6
West Palm Beach, FL

@Ryan2948 

I think it's ok.

If they don't answer your questions through the thread just give them a call..

Mike from West Palm

Thanks!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Considering they have no reviews, suggests they are rookies to the ways of STR renting, so like others have said, maybe they turn out to be good guests.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Ryan2948   My VRBO guests usually want to converse before booking, so I am not surprised that these guests wanted you to call them.  It is great that you were able to communicate via the platform and that they answered your questions.

As to their grammar and punctuation, meet my children...they converse solely via text on their phones.  Fast thumb typing on the App means they do not use upper case, never use complete sentences and they insert strange acronyms and terminology that I have trouble understanding.   

I hope your guests are great!

Thanks Lorna! That’s a funny, but very good point about the grammar. I was actually able to speak with the guest on the phone as well and get any further concerns settled. I definitely think it was a case of someone typically using VRBO and less familiar with the AirBnB platform.