Suddenly no bookings 2024

Answered!
Michele511
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

Suddenly no bookings 2024

I have 7 years of 5 star ratings in Santa Monica, California. Suddenly I had hardly anything in December ‘23, only one booking in January, one booking in March, then nothing at all. I’ve always been fully booked. I dont’ understand.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I would appreciate any insights!

1 Best Answer
Michele511
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

Hello Everyone.

Here are links to the best information I can find. Also, I’ve read the last 2 quarter earnings report, (the most recent one from last week.) You will find a link to the latest one below. I have also included a few other links I found helpful in putting together why we have had a slow spell.

I’ll say that my listings picked up after I’ve lowered the price $30 a night, which is a good amount, considering how expensive everything has gotten. Also I cut the cleaning fee to $50. 

Based on what I have read in both the earnings reports, along with reading a few other articles found on the internet, I think a lot of the slow down had to do with Airbnb purposely trying to lower rates as well as bring in more hosts. The “guest favorite” filter gives new hosts more opportunity to get listings faster as it regenerates every 24 hours, while superhost status is every month or so. (I forget how long exactly, but, it’s a longer qualifying period)

As well, I was told by a support ambassador that the order of listings sorts randomly over periods of time, regardless if you are a guest favorite or not. (Superhost does not give you any advantage in search options anymore.) This was done for the same reason; to give new hosts the opportunity to be featured.

I’ve noticed that at times my listing only appears as a blank dot on the map, especially when I put in a blanket search for Santa Monica. This is even if I put in the guest favorite filter. Rather unfortunate, and I would say, unfair. But that’s that and unless they are reading this and decide to do something about it, that’s the way they are doing it.

The earnings reports also talked about how they are trying to be more competitive with hotels price-wise. Overall rates on hotels have gone up around 10%, while Airbnb has gone down a bit. Airbnb considers this a win. And perhaps over the long run it will be for us, as well. It has always been an advantage here, because and equal quality hotel is a fortune.

Finally, it seems that Airbnb is buying small boutique hotels here and there in an effort to diversify its portfolio. In the earnings reports they allude to “acquiring” investment opportunities, but that’s it. However, an ambassador confirmed that they are doing this. They are waiting to announce it. If you google it, you will find articles.

I hope this has helped sort it out. If anyone else has any input, please speak up under this reply. It’s nice to have it all in one place. This is otherwise an extremely long thread.

Here are the links promised.

February 13, 2024 earnings call: 

https://airbnb2020ipo.q4web.com/files/doc_financials/2023/q4/Airbnb-Q4-23-Earnings-Call-Transcript.p...

re: boutique hotels: 

https://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-expanding-boutique-hotels-branded-buildings-2019-12

Random articles:

Airbnb vs hotels: Why are customers and hosts over Airbnb? - Vox

Are Your Airbnb Bookings Down? Statistics, Factors, & Tips

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/05/06/hotels-airbnb/

View Best Answer in original post

212 Replies 212
Sandra707
Level 2
Cape Canaveral, FL

Same here in Florida! I always had excellent bookings but now I have barely any. I did notice a change post-covid: less Europeans and more last minute bookings as well as shorter stays. 

This year ‘24 is exceptional, but cruise ships in our area are completely booked. Don’t know about hotel occupancy. I have been wondering if something on the platform changed to attract less guests?

P.S: In case it helps anyone - I have been switching to mid-term stays for professionals working in the area… as I am also reluctant to get back into longterm rent. 

@Sandra707

It’s been much better here in Santa Monica. But I’m curious, do you only accept medium term stays now? Many questions….

-are you getting more regular bookings? 

-did you have to lower your price a lot?

thanks!

I’m still renting on Airbnb and I lowered my prices today 🙂 will see if that helps. 
Normally Jan-April I have a solid 90% booking rate in all my places (I have 3) … not this year. Thankfully I have some renters coming up who booked for month-long stays… will see what the rest of the year brings.